Drughi

SDF from density in Dops

How to use the "SDF Representation" Node to convert a density volume to SDF? Or is there another way?

I know its possible with the sop solver, but I guess it's not as fast as SDF Representation

Edited by Drughi

In this article: https://www.gridmarkets.com/alejandro-echeverry  Alejandro describes the process of doing a pyroclastic smoke simulation. And he says: "Because we need a signed distance field to better compute the necessary fields, I did convert the density field to a SDF representation." But I can't figure out how to do that.

Edited by Drughi

Regards speed, I think it mainly depends on the method, but the vdb one is the best in terms of control, because you can continue to filter and reshape the field using the vdb arsenal. Sometimes the gas reinitializesdf microsolver is faster, but it can also become a weird bottle neck with huge boundaries, for example if you want to compute a gradient out of an sdf and you need the gradient to cover the whole volume container or to have a better extrapolation, in this case vdb can be a pain because of his sparse nature, of course you can expand or extrapolate your sdf using the amazing vdbactivatesdf, but that can be even slower than to use the microsolver directly.

• Like 1