SamStark

SOP-Level Particle with VEX and VOP ONLY

Hi all, I've been practicing and experimenting with VEX in Houdini and I challenged myself to see how far I can go with only VEX and VOP. I did successfully manage to create this simple effect without any use of dynamic simulation (DOP). 

Preview

https://vimeo.com/375250070

Basic Summary:

• A particle system that computes at frame-basis. I can jump from frame 1 to 700 without waiting for simulation.
  • Instead of the traditional age/life computation, this system uses travel speed to compute.
  • Trajectory generated with polar coordinate + Flow Noise on sphere section.

Graph mainly consist of VEX

The graph mainly consist of VEXs. There's still room to be improved definitely, if anyone is building more upon this, please share it, would love to see it. 
I think at the end of the day, this kind of system is probably not entirely practical tbh, but it's a great practice and study on coding with VEX.

(SHOUTOUT to a best friend of mine who's studying mechanical engineering, helped me to find a way to calculate the spiral length.)

HIP file here:

FX_Rasengan_v01.hipnc

Happy Coding!

Edited by SamStark
  • Like 2

Cool stuff, I sometimes customize a particle simulation inside of a sopsolver, as a practice of vex + solver works. Like creating Id attributes, advecting point position by velocity, customized age and life attributes etc, it's fun!!

• Like 1