Cellphone Model For Interview

Overload

So I am interviewing at a company in Atlanta for an FX Position. They feel that I am plenty familiar with particles for what I would be doing, as well as texturing. But wanted to see how I did with an assigned modeling project, to model a cell phone. So here is what I got in 2 nights, using Houdini. They run a 3dMax pipeline :(, so I would have to switch from Maya and Houdini, but they liked the model and want me back in on Wednesday to hang out for a few hours and go from there. I was really strapped for time between work, this was really cruched in. Hope everyone likes :)

CellAmb_lg.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I am interviewing at a company in Atlanta for an FX Position. They feel that I am plenty familiar with particles for what I would be doing, as well as texturing. But wanted to see how I did with an assigned modeling project, to model a cell phone. So here is what I got in 2 nights, using Houdini. They run a 3dMax pipeline :(, so I would have to switch from Maya and Houdini, but they liked the model and want me back in on Wednesday to hang out for a few hours and go from there. I was really strapped for time between work, this was really cruched in. Hope everyone likes :)

Good Houdini work there! Too bad it sounds like might be your last (for a while)...join the club :tumbleweed:

nice work!

hope you get the job, good luck

for max you have my sympaty :(

one thing for renders

I would change lens to about 50mm on camera

so you dont get so much perspective distortion and try to crop view differently now phone seems like huge orbital station over the ground.

hope it helps

z

Good Houdini work there! Too bad it sounds like might be your last (for a while)...join the club

Thanks....hehe yea..I miss houdini already. I start school back in 4 weeks so I can dive back into personal work at least :)

I would change lens to about 50mm on camera

so you dont get so much perspective distortion and try to crop view differently now phone seems like huge orbital station over the ground.

hope it helps

z

Thanks :) Yea I had that thought too. But when it was 4am and needed to be into them in 4 hrs, I just took what I got :D. I'm just happy they called me back for a second interview, and to hang out and see how they work for a while.

Model looks really good.

Good luck on the job!

Thanks Man :)

Hey Dudes...

Couldn't resist...but I just got my acceptance proposal letter..SO I GOT A THE JOB :D :D. No more working 2 jobs for peanuts, I'm the new Special Effects Artist for Artistic Image in Atlanta. Everyone in this forum has helped me a great deal by all the infomative posts in one way or another. Cheers! :D

Anthony

Hey Dudes...

Couldn't resist...but I just got my acceptance proposal letter..SO I GOT A THE JOB :D :D. No more working 2 jobs for peanuts, I'm the new Special Effects Artist for Artistic Image in Atlanta. Everyone in this forum has helped me a great deal by all the infomative posts in one way or another. Cheers! :D

Anthony

Congratulations!

---

Val

Hey Dudes...

Anthony

Nice, congrats man! Next step : convince them to buy a seat of Houdini for you :)

Congratulations!

Thanks man :)

Nice, congrats man! Next step : convince them to buy a seat of Houdini for you :)

Thanks dude...they were actually asking me about it and showed some interest.. My boss is the owner and Co-founder, so it his call. But I am not counting on it. As much as I dont want to learn a new package, 3D Max seems much more appealing than Maya (which ive used for 5 years now) in so many ways. So its cool I guess. Plus they have 4 - 80 processor render nodes :)..

Here's their homepage (www.artisticimage.com)

Thanks for the support....im pretty excited to start :)

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks everyone :) This is the reason I like Odforce so much. Everyone here is awesome, and gives great support, advice, and information. I'll definitly keep you guys up to date. Thanks agian for all the support :)

Anthony

Welcome aboard. And my congratulations (which are actually my condolences) ;)

Welcome aboard. And my congratulations (which are actually my condolences) ;)

HEHE im not going anywhere....thanks though ;)

Aparently SideFX has a rental plan (as opposed to buying). So my new boss and owner of the company, wants to rent the software and try it out on a few projects (he has been doing Visual Effects for 15+ years). So as of now, I will show him everything I know about Houdini on the apprentice version, and he will teach me 3dsMax since that is the current pipeline.

So it looks promising, and as far as I know would be the ONLY company in or around Atlanta using Houdini :D.. Cheers ;)

Anthony

HEHE im not going anywhere....thanks though ;)

Aparently SideFX has a rental plan (as opposed to buying). So my new boss and owner of the company, wants to rent the software and try it out on a few projects (he has been doing Visual Effects for 15+ years). So as of now, I will show him everything I know about Houdini on the apprentice version, and he will teach me 3dsMax since that is the current pipeline.

So it looks promising, and as far as I know would be the ONLY company in or around Atlanta using Houdini :D.. Cheers ;)

Anthony

Hey Anthony.

if you want to have HOUDINI in 3DSmax ..

you should check Thinking Particles,

it is plugin for MAX and you get node-rule-based controll for particles :)

some things even better than in houdini! like particle-particle collision or

shape collisions. and it is very fast :D

you can turn your obj. to particle and apply forces like wind and gravity!!!

I wish it worked with MAYA :(

Hey Anthony.

if you want to have HOUDINI in 3DSmax ..

you should check Thinking Particles,

it is plugin for MAX and you get node-rule-based controll for particles :)

some things even better than in houdini! like particle-particle collision or

shape collisions. and it is very fast :D

you can turn your obj. to particle and apply forces like wind and gravity!!!

I wish it worked with MAYA :(

I'm acutally happy to get away from Maya after 5 years... I complelty switched from it about a 7 months ago to Houdini.... I still say you can't beat POP's, though somewhat slow...but SO much more versatile than anything else (that I have used). I don't have a choice on learning 3dsMax right now, but the fact that they are willing to at least do the SideFX rental and try it sounds awesome to me. :rolleyes: Thanks for the info on that plug-in, I will look into it ;)

Anthony

Particleflow is node-rule-based aswell.. and comes in the package.

here where i work we use 3dsmax aswell,

we do visualisation of oilrigs and stuff like that.

i like 3dsmax, it's the app i started out with years ago.

but still, i wanna progress, that's why i try to learn houdini.

Particleflow is node-rule-based aswell.. and comes in the package.

Cool man. Well since you use Max on the regular, is there anyway to work straight from their schematic view? Also, how in the hell do you lock the orthographic views from rotation? that annoys the ***** out of me comming from Houdini and Maya. Thanks man :D

Anthony