JJ FX

Instantiate objects in Shader

Hi,

So I want to instantiate objects in shader. There is a Point Instance Procedural VOP node. However I have no to little experience in shader builders in houdini.

This node has geometry output, I'm not sure where this even should be plugged in to make it to work and just see anything.

Any help would be super helpful! :)

Or post an example of what  you need :wub:

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 6:46 PM, Librarian said:

Or post an example of what  you need :wub:

Thanks! I will look into this!

Well... I need to instatiate geometry onto milions of points. Copying creates more expensive and slow cache. Example: grass

Edited by JJ FX

15 hours ago, JJ FX said:

Thanks! I will look into this!

Well... I need to instatiate geometry onto milions of points. Copying creates more expensive and slow cache. Example: grass

Try copying Packed Disk Primitives to your millions of points. Any .bgeo that you save to disk can be loaded in as a Packed Disk Primitive via the File SOP. As they are technically references to a file on disk, they don't need to be embedded into the .IFD and should be nice and lightweight.

The Point Instance Procedural workflow got messed up in the switch to the MAT context from SHOPs, and hasn't really been fully addressed since then. You're probably best off avoiding it.

6 hours ago, toadstorm said:

Try copying Packed Disk Primitives...

Yeah I tested that yesterday and also tried old Instantiate object. And both perform exactly the same. I guess packed prims are the fastest way these days