Sign in to follow this  
Skybar

Stiffness, vellum vs wire solver

I haven't used vellum much and I'm trying to simulate a tree with curves - but I'm having trouble making the curves stiff. The solution seems to be to increase the Substeps and/or Constraint Iterations on the vellum solver, but doing that it gets quite slow very fast. In the test here I don't have that many points but it plays at just 10 fps.

Comparing with the wire solver, where it's easy to get the stiffness without slowing down too much. In the test I get it stiffer than vellum and it still plays at 25 fps.

Am I missing something or does anyone have any ideas?

wirevellum.hip

Seems about right.

Did some rnd on this, and went with rbds. Easier to interact with other objects and get stiff branches. Downside is the amount off setup.

slowmo_01.gif

treeBreak_01.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So I'm not crazy then :) Thanks Thomas!

That looks cool btw!

Thanks, had my hopes up for vellum aswell, since this was pre 17. But never made it work out as i wanted. Also tried pop-grains without any luck. 

So I'm doing some tests (wire solver) and I've found a bit difficult to get the stiffness under control. I agree that wire objects are waaaay faster than vellum tho :)

Can you share a bit of your workflow, Thomas? 

Its basicly stacked packed rbd primitives, connected with conetwist constraints. Then you transform/rebuild your curves based on thoose rbds. If you dont want destruction its pretty straight forward, if you want to break it or even want slow motion, its alot more. Heres a basic setup.

TreeRBD.gif

TreeSystem_rbd.hiplc

• Like 2