hello!

I am stuck, could someone point me in the right direction? I setup some points to rotate like a rubiks cube. How can I get my instances to rotate correctly?

Thanks in advance

rubiks rotation.PNG

rotate.zip

Edited by ejr32123

yes, that is the documentation, lol. I posted here because I am having trouble getting it to work : ( 

the problem is the points are rotating and I need the orient attribute to rotate with the points.

Edited by ejr32123

1 hour ago, Librarian said:

@ejr32123

promote your detail rot attribute to point attribute.

rot is some other attribute for something else that I made and has nothing to do with the orientation. That will not work.

Edited by ejr32123

You'll need to effect the system that created the point cloud that the file sop is looking at. One way of doing this is to set the up and N vectors on the original point cloud, and then rotate. Example attached.

rotate_v1.hiplc

• Like 2

You can also accumulate over quaternions (for copy to points), if you are rotating your points. You can use an initial value (representing the identy matrix) and for each interaction you (q)multiply this attribute with the new one.

pt_matrix_rot.hipnc

right now with your @ejr32123 N points simulation looks like

1444.gif

Edited by Librarian

thanks all for the answers, i'll check them out after work : )

1 hour ago, Aizatulin said:

You can also accumulate over quaternions (for copy to points), if you are rotating your points. You can use an initial value (representing the identy matrix) and for each interaction you (q)multiply this attribute with the new one.

pt_matrix_rot.hipnc

Your scene is more deeper but doesn't run on 17.5 without errors. 

Edited by CinnamonMetal

haha, I got it working : ) I was reading from https://www.toadstorm.com /blog/?p=493 toad storms website. I had tried up and N. Reading from his website you need both at the same time. I took the rotation I was doing in the point vop and applied it to both the up vector and the N. Now it works like a charm. Thanks everyone : )

rotate.jpg

Edited by ejr32123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ejr32123 said:

haha, I got it working : ) I was reading from https://www.toadstorm.com /blog/?p=493 toad storms website. I had tried up and N. Reading from his website you need both at the same time. I took the rotation I was doing in the point vop and applied it to both the up vector and the N. Now it works like a charm. Thanks everyone : )

rotate.jpg

That is what @LaidlawFX showed in his example; both N and a up-vector. Either way you got it working.

Edited by CinnamonMetal