Invalid Bindary Token

ncm

I've been working with a file for a couple weeks, versioning up frequently as I go. Never any issues with it until this morning. First it was crashing on stratup but I was able to isolate that to one of the ABCs it was loading (had never been an issue until today). I resolved that but now I'm getting an "Invalid Primary Token" error when I load a FLIP file cache. 95% of frames are as they should be but every once in awhile I get an empty frame. When I look at the files the are approximately the same size as their neighbors but the file cache doesn't seem to want to load them. I've tried saving out compressed and uncompressed--still getting the same errors. This is in Houdini 18.0.416. Has anybody run in to this and solved it before? I've run the sim a couple times and it still happens. Doesn't seem to be consistently the same frame.

Thanks in advance for any help.

image.png.df154e0b3d7ac7e830400de6a3726503.png

Edited by ncm

It "smells" like some disk issue, possibly lost fragments or even bad blocks but it could be also some bug from older version. Don't waste time searching details, try re-simulate scene on some other drive (or repaired) with latest version of Houdini. If that doesn't resolve the issue, then upload minimal scene which can reproduce error, here on forum.

cheers

I copied the whole project down to a local drive and was at least able to get a whole sim out. I still can't load in that original alembic geo. If I load it in as a point cloud it's fine but the moment I try to bring in the whole geo with primitives I crash. 

5 hours ago, ncm said:

I copied the whole project down to a local drive and was at least able to get a whole sim out. I still can't load in that original alembic geo. If I load it in as a point cloud it's fine but the moment I try to bring in the whole geo with primitives I crash. 

What kind of primitives does the alembic contain? I've had problems with crashing alembics before if the animators include the animation controls by mistake. If you can, try and load different parts (under the Selection tab on the Alembic SOP) and try and find what makes it crash.

9 hours ago, Noobini said:

minor detail...thread title says

Invalid Primary Token

but i read invalid binary token from the error msg. Probably insignificant.

you are very correct on this. That is quite a minor major detail. I made the thread when I was tired and desperate. I can't find anywhere to change the thread title so I think I need to leave it?