Houdini 18 rbd material fracture woes - can't keep static

awesome theres some great stuff there for me to look at :)

so heres some grabs of my scene... i've set it up using the bounding box area you showed me... seems to work great for what i need.

question - how can i get the pieces to activate at a certain frame?  Right now they all start falling immediately - i need them to only become active at a later frame...
Capture00.thumb.JPG.7b77a192e54a3cb6f9aa7abb721f4120.JPG

I triend entering a simple if command into the rbd configure active area but it didn't work :(  The pieces just stay static sadly...
Capture01.thumb.JPG.b671b891c019917669095093de9745b2.JPG

Why don't you just use $F > 1000 ?

The "<" statement returns 1 if the condition he's verifying is true, and 0 if not. So just typing $F > 1000 should mean "be active if the current frame is superior to 1000".

I'm not sure on how the new rbd sop solver works, but you can try by using the attribute @Frame (which is the equivalent to $F in vex).

Cheers, 

2 hours ago, DonRomano said:

Why don't you just use $F > 1000 ?

The "<" statement returns 1 if the condition he's verifying is true, and 0 if not. So just typing $F > 1000 should mean "be active if the current frame is superior to 1000".

I'm not sure on how the new rbd sop solver works, but you can try by using the attribute @Frame (which is the equivalent to $F in vex).

Cheers, 

hey thanks

I tried the @Frame and $F as you suggested - it makes no difference - its like the

The other method i was showed was to create the whole globe statue as fractured geo... then group the points and use i@active ==1 in a group node but the main problem with all this is that its ALL the globe being fractured.  Its heavy handed for just a few pieces.

I just need those pieces to stay static in space until i allow them to become active - currrently its like this new SOPS based method doesn't give me the option - in dops i would just add an rbd keyframe active node and specify at what frame they become active - this HAS to be do-able with the new sops based approach surely ?!

The only thing I see after diving into the sop bullet solver is to unlock it, dive into the dop and add a sop solver with a wrangle, just like you do in an old way sim.

This new sop thing looks like it's pretty limited to customize, even for constraints rules. It's cool for basic rbd sims, but when you want to have more control it seems that you have to go the old way..

Cheers, 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DonRomano said:

The only thing I see after diving into the sop bullet solver is to unlock it, dive into the dop and add a sop solver with a wrangle, just like you do in an old way sim.

This new sop thing looks like it's pretty limited to customize, even for constraints rules. It's cool for basic rbd sims, but when you want to have more control it seems that you have to go the old way..

Cheers, 

exactly that mate - i'm glad its not just me seeing the same thing - i've seen a bunch of tuts.. simple boxes... basic fences hit by hammers... yeah its adorable... all that geo is made in houdini.

Fetching something in... fracturing it running a sim.. adding uv's and then piping that back out to render elsewhere is much more involved lol!

i ended up going back to dopnet approach and omg its a total joy to work with.  I can activate the sim at the frame i want.

I'll use transform pieces sop to shift the sim to higher res geo down the line but this should work sweet.

that SOPS method has MUCH work to do before ppl start switching to that - its cute and fun to twiddle in sops - reality is in a production workflow its a sodding nightmare from what i can see.

thanks guys for all the help anyways i appreciate it and learned some trickery on various bits!
ant :)

Capture.thumb.JPG.aa5fc3349c286b490066d71960cbef56.JPG

• Thanks 1

You can activate in a frame that you wish, the rbdconfigure acts more like a global controller (Do not use the bounds in RBD configure). Then if you want to control which pieces aren't active just make a grp afterward and set it to `i@active = 0` 
Here is an example. Using a sphere ; )  But yes if you want more control and you are doing more complex setup Dops is the way to go. 

houdini_OETjHgIg73.png

houdini_MVJYE2FeiS.png

houdini_WxAICbQIOV.png

s09KPrbfrI.gif

Edited by Sepu

hmmm, haven't looked at your file but would have thought Sleeping is perfect for this...this is how I set up you file initially.

the front bits are all sleeping (staying perfectly still).....until they get impacted by something.....then they become active....no need to key frame anything.

Same as dropping the black ball onto sleeping balls example. It's just a simple checkbox, don't have to know VEX-fu.

CORRECTION: it's in my version 02 file...with Sleeping. Go this way...sooooo simple...just set and forget.

Edited by Noobini

4 minutes ago, Noobini said:

hmmm, haven't looked at your file but would have thought Sleeping is perfect for this...this is how I set up you file initially.

the front bits are all sleeping (staying perfectly still).....until they get impacted by something.....then they become active....no need to key frame anything.

Same as dropping the black ball onto sleeping balls example. It's just a simple checkbox, don't have to know VEX-fu.

CORRECTION: it's in my version 02 file...with Sleeping. Go this way...sooooo simple...just set and forget.

Yeah I'm not sure I'm fully understanding why it isn't working as predicted but like I said I just went back to dopsetup.  I needed varying types of collision for the geo.. mesh collision for the unbroken part of globe.. a simpler collision for char..  I didn't know how to set that up in the sop setup.. in dops I simply specify what to use.. far less stress.

I think the reason my pieces started moving immediately was because they collided from frame 1 on the unbroken globe.. So instantly they became active.. like I say I'm not sure 100% 

Like I say hopefully I can still use some nodes to create higher res pieces then transform pieces sop.

16 minutes ago, anthonymcgrath said:

Yeah I'm not sure I'm fully understanding why it isn't working as predicted but like I said I just went back to dopsetup.  I needed varying types of collision for the geo.. mesh collision for the unbroken part of globe.. a simpler collision for char..  I didn't know how to set that up in the sop setup.. in dops I simply specify what to use.. far less stress.

I think the reason my pieces started moving immediately was because they collided from frame 1 on the unbroken globe.. So instantly they became active.. like I say I'm not sure 100% 

Like I say hopefully I can still use some nodes to create higher res pieces then transform pieces sop.

I'm the other way, never did much sim of anything the old school ways...so I only know the new SOP solvers...it's not too bad IMO

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Noobini said:

I'm the other way, never did much sim of anything the old school ways...so I only know the new SOP solvers...it's not too bad IMO

I'm glad it's working for you it's confusing the heck out of me Lol!