I started making a grass Pack

Wout

Hi,

I started working on a grass pack that I'll put on Gumroad. I'm off to a good start I think. Even with just one blade of grass instanced it's already looking pretty good :)

Wout

02.jpg

01.jpg

Edited by Wout
  • Like 3

Little update : Placement , 4 grass blades variation, shading work. Houdini is awesome but when it comes to (random) rotations.. PHEW, down the rabbit hole haha :)

03.thumb.jpg.ed6f813c15dc8776706c9e5f2cfeb60b.jpg

Hi Librarian,

thank you for taking the time to make that example. The issue I'm running into though, is doing a copy to points, which aligns the+Z axis to the normals, and then keeping that alignment + adding random rotation. Random rotation on flat plane is pretty straight forward but once you start adding deformation, stuff goes weird :) 

*Edit: Come to think of it, maybe adding the random rotation before the copy to points would work, but then I would still need to recreate the alignment from the copy to points node, as I'm using it on instances;; hmmm :)

Edited by Wout

Update :)

I spent like two or three days trying to figure out a way to align an object to the normals of another object combined with local random rotations but I finally figured it out :) It works very well but it is a bit slow.

04.thumb.jpg.1a6d982a7beebf20df6e046659ef7daa.jpg

Edited by Wout
  • Like 2

I'm probably gonna add some more grass blade variations and then some other things you'd find in a field of grass, like clovers, or small weeds and stuff like that :)

Or maybe throw some stones on the grass haha ;)

Edited by Wout

In the render above I manually selected points with the lasso to instance the clovers on.

In this render I used a noise pattern to determine were the grass should be flatter and at the same time that's where the clovers are instanced. I also did some shader tweaking.

13.thumb.jpg.b604dd409bf21d30649e7e1551b3b2b4.jpg

Edited by Wout
  • Like 3

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're saying in the first part but that's okay :) * Edit: Do you mean smoking weed and making love ? haha :) 

Thank you ! :)

Edited by Wout