Jump to content
Ginz

Using point deform

Recommended Posts

Hello,

I'm new to Houdini and this is probably very simple. I have a simple scene file that was made with the Entagma vellum tutorial https://vimeo.com/294374382

How would I use point deform to apply the high-res pig head on to the low-res pig heads with the dopnet continuously emitting the pig heads?

Thanks guys!  

V_test_01.hiplc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly like this! :)

Thank you so much nuki!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Martin,

Just one question.. I noticed that in the DOP Network node - Object Merge tab - Object - you added vellum*. After using your method myself that was the step that made it work. Do you mind letting me know why?

Thanks for your help on this! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

sure - that just changes the name filter for the output objects from * meaning "everything" to "anything starting with vellum". In this case it isolates the pig heads, because they are emitted into vellumobject1, just to get rid of the groundplane. You could achieve the same with a group and a blast or split sop for example.

Edited by nuki
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perfect! Thanks so much for your help!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if you use the point deform capture from the QL lib, you could avoid using an expansive loop and run faster

It used an attribute to partition your geo so the capture weights and pts are generated accordingly.

After just use a regular point deform but in deform only.

 

________________________________________________________________

Vincent Thomas   (VFX and Art since 1998)
Senior Env artist & Lighting & MattePainter & Creative Concepts

 http://fr.linkedin.com/in/vincentthomas

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Vincent,

Thanks for the suggestion! I tried installing qLib on Houdini 18.0.460 but I'm getting a lot of errors. Is it just me or is it not compatible with the latest Houdini build?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you used the package method - I had trouble to get houdini to load the package until I set the QLIB variable in the .json file to an absolute path. Maybe its a Windows+OneDrive thing.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, nuki said:

if you used the package method - I had trouble to get houdini to load the package until I set the QLIB variable in the .json file to an absolute path. Maybe its a Windows+OneDrive thing.

 

Package method worked! Thanks again Martin :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2020 at 4:19 PM, vinyvince said:

I think if you use the point deform capture from the QL lib, you could avoid using an expansive loop and run faster

It used an attribute to partition your geo so the capture weights and pts are generated accordingly.

After just use a regular point deform but in deform only.

 

________________________________________________________________

Vincent Thomas   (VFX and Art since 1998)
Senior Env artist & Lighting & MattePainter & Creative Concepts

 http://fr.linkedin.com/in/vincentthomas

Sorry for the newb question but whatever I do, I can't seem to make this work. Can anyone please show me how it's done with the qLib point deform capture? 

Thanks

V_test_01.hiplc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a thread with a similar approach, simulating lowres geometry and then deform highres geometry with it:

And here's your file with the point deform capture from qlib.

V_test_01_yader.hiplc

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Yader said:

Here's a thread with a similar approach, simulating lowres geometry and then deform highres geometry with it:

And here's your file with the point deform capture from qlib.

V_test_01_yader.hiplc

This is great! Thanks so much!

So the rest points dopnet is essentially a duplicate of the main dopnet just to generate rest points?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×