Jebbel

Whitewater setup for Large Ocean Toolkit

Posted (edited)

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to create EXACTLY this effect in de houdini docs: https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/shelf/largeocean.html#using-large-ocean (example vid)

I've traced it back to the launch event of H17: (skip to 01:20:00 or so)

Ofcourse there's no tutorial or documentation to be found on how to achieve this. Would anyone know how to achieve this? As far as I can tell the Whitewater setup still requires FLIP as input. I've had no sucvces doing this in the popsolver; it just doesn't look right... and I'm a noob

much obliged!

Edited by Jebbel
typo

2 minutes ago, dleonhardt said:

The Ocean Foam SOP will do what you are looking for. That particular effect doesn't need a FLIP sim as input.

https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/nodes/sop/oceanfoam.html

I've noticed this sop indeed... but it's not giving me that spray and mist like in the example. but maybe I need to pull the levers a bit more?

Emitter

Particles are created within a specified region based on various emission criteria from the input ocean layers. These particles could then be fed into any custom particle simulation for emission.

Solver

Foam particles are created according to the various emission criteria then run through a 2-D particle simulation that incorporates the ocean velocity and neighboring particle proximity to give realistic foam behavior. The output of this mode can be used directly for rendering foam with the Ocean Surface shader.

This suggests I would need to use the emitter mode as input for POPS... On the launch event they are using the whitewater system with a deformed mesh. this is a unicorn...

found this bit in a different post:

In the white water solver, for the "Source Volume" you can use the surface SDF generated from an Ocean Evaluate node (volume tab).

In the "Emission Source" you can use any particles converted to a vdb named "emit" and that will work.

For instance, you could use the "Ocean Foam" to generate the source particles and merge them with any other particle source that you wish.

maybe someone can help me figure this one out? I haven't been able to get this to work.