AntoineSfx

Polybevel, how to round to an actual circle arc ?

Posted (edited)

Using Polybevel, the resulting shape of a rounded corner is not really documented

In 2d, do you know how to add a round bevel to a corner of a polygon that would actually be a circle arc ?

Edited by AntoineSfx

shape round, crank up divisions...what are you smoking ;)?

bevel.jpg

25 minutes ago, Noobini said:

shape round, crank up divisions...what are you smoking ;)?

bevel.jpg

Indian hemp. It's a vegetable. Anyway..

The reason I need a proper circle arc is because I'm using Houdini to model pieces that will be 3d printed and need to fit another piece that is an actual circle arc of a known radius. Not sure if I want to file an RFE for this, as Polybevel is already very unstable as soon as the input is a bit complex. 

I guess I can build it myself for a one off shape, as I don't see an easy way to fix it in the general case, as it would require to compute the center of curvature and whatnot.

So if you don't know, now you know.

roundedbevel.jpg

fair enough...RFE away.

Try to extrude your 2d shape first, then bevel corner edges. The shape of bevels is close enough to a circle.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vicvvsh said:

Try to extrude your 2d shape first, then bevel corner edges. The shape of bevels is close enough to a circle.

Interesting.

Polybevel is using a different algorithm to bevel those edges, and it results in actual circle arcs.

Hi,

if interested, here is an older example (a bit modified) where I've tried to create a circular bevel for polylines. It is experimental so it will probably fail in some situation, but you can use custom radii and numbers of division.

Polyline_Circular_Bevel.hipnc

• Thanks 1