HappehLemons

Getting bad results with rest on Fluid Emitters (Texture Mapping Fluids)

Posted (edited)

I've got an emitter, and within the autodop networks flip solver I have rest enabled. I'm using an attribute wrangle with the expression v@uv = @rest;, and getting weird results with it. 

Here's a frame:

Rest.png.e95c2f75a7a13c27eeaa3ae9359fda64.png

I've seen lots of examples of people able to get awesome UVs mapped to their emitters using rest like:

Why are mine so far off?

Edited by HappehLemons

on the ParticleFluidSurface/Surfacing/ Ouput , try Attribute radius: 10, and attribute Samples: 200.
The values depend on how many particles you have.

Well if your fluid shape doesn't change drastically after the rest attribute is set, you'll get better results. For example, if you change the emitter to a tube instead of a sphere, the uvs will look better as the fluid flows downward since it's a better match for the fluid shape before it hits the ground. You should also look into reducing Frames Between Reset on the FLIP Solver so that you aren't trying to smear out your rest position over a surface that looks very different from what you started out with.

Nice! Thanks for the tips guys. There's still some tinkering to be done here but I'm already getting a MUCH better result with just these few suggestions.