• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Celebrating 1 year anniversary of Pragmatic VEX: Volume 1!

Since its inception it has been a huge success among the high end VFX studios and artists alike.

And for that I am hugely grateful!

Therefore it will be on a discounted sale for a week until August 20 12 PM PST.

Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

To celebrate the yearly anniversary, I decided to share the Limit Surface Sampling chapter from the course (5 separate videos). AFAIK this topic has never been covered by other tutorials, so I hope it proves to be useful for your work! Enjoy!

To generate interpolating surfaces for other subdivision schemes we need a method of determining the position and the normal at a set of points on the limit surface. Because the surface is the result of repeated application of a subdivision step, we can analyze the behavior of a small neighborhood of points as they converge to the limit surface in order to determine the surface properties at the point of convergence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is a very practical use of the limit surface to figure out where a point is on the subdivision limit surface.

Imagine a character head like the one we were using, and you add a lot of detail to it, just like what we did before using adaptive subdivision.

That sounds all good in action, but what we are missing is the future projection of the same geometry, by additional subdivision, either as a post operation before exporting out the geometry, or as a render time operation.

In any case, this will result in the areas where there is added detail, to be flatter than before, even though it's not the case without adaptive subdivision.

Because if you recall, we were using Catmull-Clark subdivision algorithm, which will keep the original geometry nice and smooth.

But in other cases where you might have additional detail using algorithms such as Bricker, it might result in the areas where there is added detail to be flatter than before.

But we don't necessarily want this. What we want is to create detail without disturbing the future subdivided shape of the geometry.

So how can we do this?

Evaluating attributes at the subdivision limit surface gives us a way out.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If you have access to the subdivision limit surface by patch IDs and the patch UVs, then surely you can scatter points on the limit subdivision limit surface just like you scatter points on a polygonal surface.

And this is exactly what we are gonna do in this chapter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Exclusive bonus content is being developed for Pragmatic VEX: Volume 1 that includes 2 brand new sections! It will show how to break down and solve new complex technical problems to get aesthetic results. The last section is based on a Siggraph paper.

This content will be freely available to existing owners of Pragmatic VEX: Volume 1.

Estimated length is between 1 and 2 hours of video content.

Happy new years everyone!

MK5oDv7.png

N3WKRsT.png

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Upcoming over 1.5 hours of brand new bonus content for Pragmatic VEX: Volume 1 based on a white paper. Will be freely available to the owners of Volume 1.

www.pragmatic-vfx.com

Pragmatic VEX series is aimed to increase the technical capacity of the artists and TDs which will allow them to tackle more complex production shots with complete control and ease by acquiring a deeper technical understanding of how things work in Houdini at the lowest level with a strong applied focus on high-end feature film visual effects production.

Created by Yunus "animatrix" Balcioglu, Senior FX Technical Director with experience from studios such as Industrial Light & Magic and MPC. Feature film credits include Marvel's Eternals, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, X-Men: Dark Phoenix, Aquaman, Alien: Covenant, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, Justice League, and many more.

Edited by animatrix

21 hours ago, justintjamison said:

Hi @animatrix! I really want to dive into this course but I was wondering if it’s available on your gumroad? I’d love to purchase it!

Hi Justin, it's available on my website: https://www.pragmatic-vfx.com

The checkout process is simpler than Gumroad. Let me know if you need help, I would be happy to guide you through the process :)

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After careful analysis and deliberation of the new features in Houdini 19.5, Pragmatic VEX: Volume 1 has been updated to the latest version so you can be confident you are still using the latest techniques and methods available.

A number of videos have received updated content as well as the corresponding scene files.

All existing users immediately received the latest content as soon as it went live.

Enjoy!

• animatrix changed the title to Pragmatic VEX: Volume 1 [4K] [H20]