Modeling challenge

anakin78z

Howdy folks,

So, I've been meaning to model a cool sword, but can never find enough time or motivation, so I thought that if I make it a modeling challenge, I might actually get it done :D

Now, your sword can really be as simple as you want, but if you look at something like this: http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/j...farc/sword1.asp you can see that it can also get pretty complex.

Anyhoo, shouldn't take too long.

I myself am modeling a shortsword (1d6+6. yep, it's magical... and I'm a dork :ph34r: )

Now go get to it!

-Zig

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ooh! A modeling competition. Sounds very nice.

Infact, I did a few sword models in the past. Even a few for some game-projects.

If I get the time, I will surely model one. (* All in Houdini, right? *)

Hi, modeling challenges, just like any other (see animation of performances) are fun. What I don't like much, is the voting thingie... i find it superfluous. I don't think anyone needs numbers, one might post something to just ask for advice maybe? well, I think there's enough of a competition in the real world.

Seeing that Alex for example is quite busy (like all us, anyways) it would maybe fit to give some guidance like "make the best sword you can in 60 minutes". And also some tech guidance like telling wether it's meant to be lo-poly game style or to be made into subdivision surface. I believe this can help us all focus more on a given topic and do what we're here for, to learn from each other.

just an opinion, it was not my idea and will enjoy all the submissions anyway :)

I like your ethics miguel.

Hehehe, you'd simply 'love' CGchat! :) They are, well, if you know CGchat, you know what I'm talking about... Really, ask TheUsualAlex. He and I have the same opinion when it comes to that place. (Which speaking of; Guess what? I was banned [!!] over there because I've once critised the work of a moderator. I guess I had a 'bad day'...)

Coming back to the actual sword modeling... I think I have time this weekend to model. Hell, might even do it this evening!

Really, I hope everyone will contribute.

Hey all,

Well I personally think that there should be no rules or guidelines on how you want your sword done, except of course the timeline. I mean everyone has their thing that they are best at and the swords can be as different as they can. That will allow people to get as far as they want in their direction.

And by the way, Alex, you are way too modest.

Kat.

Can I use my horseguys sword? Or do I have to start again? :D...

horse_w_sword2.jpg

P.S. .. only kidding. I'd like to start again for this, but I don't have a machine at the moment. I'd like to see what everyone comes up with though.

Oh wait, I think I've seen/heard of that earlier. But I've never tried it out (yet). Anyways, thanks for telling me Marc!

By the way, the model itself is pretty damn kick-ass aswell. (I noticed that I've only paid attention to the render itself in the previous message of mine).

well put Miguel. B) Its great seeing pics and challenges posted, id hate to see future forum users become embarassed or too shy to post because of a rating system.

Marc, gonna dump a bunch of highly addictive games on your machine... doubt youll be working on anything :P

muaha...muahahahahaha!!

Hey guys this is kinda fun. Here is something that I whipped up in about 40 minutes or so didn't have alot of time. Don't know if I am going to add textures or what. I don't really know where this would fall it's a bit too heavy to be low poly bit too lite to be hi rez.

Residnt

post-19-1039838508.jpg

Here's my contribution... (I did it very quickly this evening, because of the other work I have to do).[i/]

A so-called "La Hire war sword", nothing special really. I did it completely with NURBS in Houdini. I'm planning to texture/shade it sooner or later and make a decent render of it. For now, I took a screenshot.

post-19-1040075710.jpg