Balance Using KineFX Center of Mass

zbugni

kinefx_retargetcleanup_comcharbalancing_1.gif.4de83de9992242d7c8ee031443f00027.gif

^This is what I'm going for. I'm trying to follow the guide here: https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/character/kinefx/retargetcleanup.html , specifically Example 4: Making a character appear to move and balance on a platform. However, the character seems to be doing almost the opposite of what I would expect. The feet stay planted on the platform, but the upper body leans into the motion even further rather than leaning to counterbalance the lower body.

Backward.thumb.png.bc5a9723cc9ec8e9118f0e954401c605.pngForward.png.1a22738306ce80044eea6cb46501cba0.png

The guide's setup seems very straightforward, and from what I can tell mine is essentially the exact same. I've tried switching out the character, but haven't gotten better results. Is there something I've missed?

(The model is Passive Marker Man from Mixamo, but I don't want to upload it for copyright reasons. You can just switch out the model with any rigged fbx though, and reselect the foot joints in the deletejoints1 and fullbodyik1 nodes.)

Balance.hipnc

Edited by zbugni
Forgot to include an example of what I wanted to achieve

• 3 months later...

Hi Connor,

I noticed the same kind of issues with my character, so I decided to try with the "Erik" character available on SideFX's website.
The results look similar although I had to change a few things, like increase damping and exclude COM from the transforms.

I attached a hip file if you want to have a look.

erik_balance.hiplc