Atom

[SOLVED]Flip Viscosity Halts Inside Collider?

Posted (edited)

I have a working viscosity simulation.

viscosity_works.gif.e4337064a6a872037573fd913ce5164d.gif

When I replace the tube with a hollow cube, all fluid motion stops on contact with the collision surface? I have set friction to zero, but that does not seem to be the issue.

viscosity_fails.gif.0fe9f9e42bde5f4d5af2870e5c2348b7.gif

The collision object looks valid.

Untitled-1.jpg.615f45b1554692daf9ee6aa6b9c92277.jpg

Does anyone know how to make FLIP work in this case? I expected the fluid to continue to ooze out and around the collision object.

How are we supposed to make our Cadbury egg simulation?

ap_flip_viscosity_by_attribute_inside.hiplc

Edited by Atom

Enabling flipsolver1->Viscosity->Slip on Collision and playing with the Slip Scale attribute seems to help a bit, but I agree that is very odd to see this happening for a fairly straightforward simulation case.  It's almost like the viscosity is getting scaled at a rapid rate despite there being nothing set up to do so in the rig. 

It's worth posting this on the SESI forums and/or sending to their techs for closer inspection if you haven't already, something does seem fishy about that behavior.

• Like 1

sorry,  I just realize that this has been already solved

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I also received help on Discord which provided the simplest solution. Calculate the collision object using Ray Intersect instead of providing a Volume Sample. For some reason this just fixes it..?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Good to know, thanks for the update.  That's a weird as well as non-intuitive fix; I don't know why that would make any difference given that Volume Sample has been reliable every other time I've used it - now it definitely sounds like a bug that SideFX should check into

edit: I had to go and tinker some more to try and understand why this behavior is occurring; I've actually found that with a voxel size of 0.025 or above in the Collision Source, it works as expected.  Anything below that (even 0.0249999) causes the odd freezing behavior.  A relationship between that value and the settings in the simulation is not readily apparent to me, but I feel it is likely there is one.

Edited by ryew
further tinkering
  • Thanks 1