Sign in to follow this  
marwan131

automate task using python and vex in houdini

hello , it's my first time i use python in houdini fx i know python from before but i never used it in houdini fx and it seems it's easier than vex to achieve the same task, my problem is i have an fbx file with shop_materialpath and  there are different name in shop_materialpath

i want to create a string channel for each unique name , that string channel it will  be a path for ue4 material for example if i have 2 different name in shop_material the first one is TS_02 and the second is Roof_01 i want to create 2 string channel to expose it later to ue4 using hda 

first string pathmat1 and the second one is pathmat2 and they will be applied in an attribute name unreal_material or path , i want to automate this process because i want it  to work on random asset if i dont know the name of the shop_materialpath the python script should loop in each primitive and see how many name there are in shop_material path and create string channels for them .

i already made a script to store the name of the shop_materialpath in a dictionary and then i lost from where should i continue idk how to access primnum in python and idk how to create string channel like in vex using chs()

here is my python code 

# Run a generator Box SOP Verb
def grp_n(grp):
    myDict={}
    for mat in grp:
        if mat in myDict:
            myDict[mat]=1
        else:
            myDict[mat]=1
    return myDict

node = hou.pwd()
geo = node.geometry()
dict={}
list=[]
for pri in geo.prims():
     list.append(pri.attribValue("shop_materialpath"))

l=grp_n(list)
print l

and i made a simple code in vex but in this case i already know the shop_material names and im testing using if conditions and applying string to the unreal_material , i want to automate this process to check how many names there are in shop_material path and then creating string channels for each one, sorry i dont know how to explain this in an easy way but my english is not too good 

string id1=chs("uemat1");    
string id2=chs("uemat2");
string id3=chs("uemat3");
// testing conditions comparing the groups name
if(s@shop_materialpath=="TS_02"){
s@unreal_material=id1;
}
else{  
s@unreal_material=id2;
}
if(s@shop_materialpath=="Emissive_01"){
s@unreal_material=id3;