Uniform Texture Coordinates

Are you sure they overlap, or are they just very, very close together? In theory, and I could be wrong without looking closely at your model, but I think it is impossible for this method to either remove overlapping uvs or create them..

I think because some of them are very close together in the first place it is difficult/impossible for it to seperate them in a way that you are hoping for. :unsure:

I'm encouraged to see that on the body and head, around the eyes at least, the uv's do look more uniform, but in the hands and tail I think there is too much work for it to do and some hand intervention is required to seperate the uv's some more.

As with all things "automagic" there are limitations that will always require the artist to get hands on to fix. There is only so far something like this can go, its just an extra tool to help along the way, not a panacea for all ills. ;)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You are right with the regions a the head around the eyes. I'm like the result there. The overlapping UVs are at the tail :( Check the picture - I selected all points in the UV-view:

post-171-1170775563_thumb.jpg

I will try to change the pelt at the tail and slice the beast a little bit more :rolleyes:

I've been thinking about this some more, and what I think it needs is a pre pass that relaxes the positions - maybe a smooth sop set to texture would do it. When the uvs are too close together the grid doesn't have enough detail in it to seperate them so they get treated as if they were one point. Its a sampling issue. You can either seperate them more to start with or increase the detail in the grid. Increasing the detail in the grid causes its own problems so seperating them more first is definately preferable.

Out of interest why not make the head, hands, body and tail seperate pelts? Its always asking a lot to to do the whole model in one pass.

Out of interest why not make the head, hands, body and tail seperate pelts? Its always asking a lot to to do the whole model in one pass.

mmm I wanted to avoid the cuts and separate pieces. It is easier to work in the sym-mode of ZBrush. But I will try this too!

I re-pelted the model and I used the UVedit-SOP to refine my UV-layout. The result looks much better now. No overlapps after 2 UVuniform-SOPs:

post-171-1171016845_thumb.jpg

It seems there are problems with UVuniform when UV-elements are to close togehter. I changed the UV-layout at the tail and the overlap-problem is gone.

I will spend some more time to rework the UV-layout at the neck and tail. I wish there would be a something like a UV-mirror-SOP. The SOP places all the changes form one side autmatically to the other side of the UV-layout.

@Old School

Thanks for the hint. I tried this, but I think I havnt described my idea it in the right way.

post-171-1171022168_thumb.jpg

You work on the side with the red point and the SOP will place the point after UVedit mirrored in the left side (blue). This is useful when you scale an edgeloop for a eye.

I have to get the attribute of the red point and I have to transfer it "mirrored" to the blue - right?

Another small update

added a freeze attribute - if the freeze attribute is found on the input it will be taken into account when finding a solution. This means you can "freeze" points and have them keep their current uv values.

UVuniform.zip

Good idea!

Is it a freeze factor? If its just a boolean it could also just be a Freeze Point Group?

Thanks a lot for the vertex-support!!! :D

It seems there is a problem. Please check the picture - there are a few points at the wrong place after the UVuniform:

post-171-1171888260_thumb.jpg

The points with blue and orange circles (left) are connected.

ZBrush shows also errors after the UVcheck-operation :(

• 8 months later...