catchyid

Robust solution for RBD Fracture???

Posted (edited)

Houdini 17.5

Hi, 

I am using RBD material fracture to break a building (it breaks floor by floor, elements by elements, so it would be a simple as possible to the fracture node!), however when I turn on "Edge Details", I get the cutting planes in the output geometry!! I've tried to play with attributes like Noise Height/Size, however it's like a random process, one keep trying until "some" values will work. My question: Is there any solid/robust solution to add details to RBD pieces? 

fracture_problem.png

Edited by catchyid

Hello,

usually when this happend to me it means problems in mesh i created.Maybe you have some double points there or some points not merged.Try to use a fuse node before the fracture.

C.

• Like 1

Usually detail work will do with recursive workflow for rbd fracture. That best simple than using the compilation tool in Houdini which heavier.

You can set all pieces go to original 0,0,0 then detail them there then return all result back to their position.

Sometimes it can help to turn off the "Detriangulate" option. Otherwise, check your input mesh, change the seed value of the fracture points until it stops breaking (not ideal, i know!)

just an update : I've tested all possible ideas mentioned above, it's seems to me a bug in the tool itself (or at least the implementation is not robust enough)...I could not find a bullet-proof solution, for each pieces, i've tried different methods (different seeds, different number of fraction points, always break per piece, pre-cut mesh with boolean fracture using simple planes, etc)...it worked finally for most pieces but again, it's a random process...