Sign in to follow this  
sb526

Correct way of using Z Depth in Redshift

I am trying to render out a simple wireframe with depth i.e. the wireframe object fades into the background. Ideally, I want to control the fading threshold in compositing software but I don't have Nuke which is what most tutorials out there are using.

Relatively new to render passes, wrote Z depth output into EXR but it is recorded in world units I believe so I find it hard controlling it.

I tried using a COP network but can't seem to make it work/don't know how to remap Z depth mask. Any advice on that? Attached file.

On a higher level, what is a good option to use for editing multilayer EXR sequences? I typically use Premiere for simple editing but there aren't many EXR tutorials for it? After Effects seems convoluted. Is Nuke my only good option?

z-depth-test.hipnc

wireframe.PNG

zdepth.PNG

Not really sure what is the problem. Your file seem ok to me.
I just adjust a bit min and max depth.
Effectively these are in world unit, which is quite convenient IMHO.

I also prefere don't use Camera near/far. I Just use it to find the corect min and max values.
By the way are you in bucket mode to tweak parameters ? (Z AOV don't work in progressive mode).

Da Vinci resolve who has a free edition can also do the trick

z-depth-test.hipnc

z-depth-test.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense :)

I did some digging and there are both free versions of Nuke and Da Vinci Resolve + Fusion. I wonder which one is better to learn / has less limitations.