LaidlawFX

Houdini 20 Wishlist

Statistically improbable until you factor in a pandemic! Houdini 19 is coming out this Halloween season!

kermit-frog.gif

TM data analysis says it should have been here this summer based on years of old...

I have to say I awoke from a long slumber for this release. So I am looking forward to seeing what good offerings there are in this issue.

My only wish is for SideFX to still keep on being independent and carving its own path. Trying to get folks to understand the heart of Houdini is no small feat.

As always, this is a non-official wish list. So please submit BUGs, RFEs, and Questions directly to support. Also for anecdotal questions and rants branch them to another thread. People will more likely help you in a dedicated thread.

-Cera ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Animation and rigging toolset to rival Maya so I can dump Autodesk for good!

• Like 2

On 9/21/2021 at 11:00 PM, LaidlawFX said:

My only wish is for SideFX to still keep on being independent and carving its own path. Trying to get folks to understand the heart of Houdini is no small feat.

my only wish every-day- .... and -version

.cheers

• Like 1

From the grooming toolset there are many things i would like to see changed or added. 

Hair Generate SOP - This sop in my opinion is not very efficient because one, its a HDA. And most of the grooms i work on easily can reach in the millions. A pure rewrite of this node to be able to deal millions of primitives would be ideal. 

Two, it is doing two jobs instead of one. Its main focus should be to generate primitives and give them controls to interpolate them. Which it does have... but it also deals with distribution. This makes the process cumbersome when layering maps. Say you have a general density map for the face, you like the way everything is.... but you realize you need more density in the nose. How would you add it without changing the general seed of everything. You can make another hair generate just for the nose and merge them... this is inefficient. 

I made a HDA where you essentially can merge scatter nodes together (one for the face, one for the nose), that will be your density, run them through a single interpolate and you have your hair. Only once will you need to generate primitives. 

hairClump SOP - This node crashes a lot. I have a tutorial on my site that shows users how to control the profile of the clump in different areas without needing multiple clump nodes with different profiles and blending them together. This process when scaled up causes crashes. It utilizes Guide attributes on the tightness parameter.  Also this is another node i believe needs to re-written from the ground up. When working with grooms, it is also extremely slow to process and i have a pretty decent machine. 

guideProcess SOP -  Frizz Mode - in other packages known as scraggle or noise, is pretty much unusable. It produces very repetitive patterns and takes a lot of work to breakup. Extremely low values are need to get anything that looks like natural and even then the effect has to be toned down a lot. 

guideProcess SOP -  Displacement Mode - When dealing with grooms in the millions, the guide process node is another HDA, which means its gonna be slower than something that has been optimized. If you are displacing large grooms it would be ideal to do so in an effcient way because that kind of processing can be expensive. 

guideMask SOP - This node is very usefull, but again suffers from the problem of efficiency. It is always going to be dealing with millions of primitives and so optimizing is something that would be greatly requested by myself and other artists.  

attributePaint SOP - Options for inverting, or copying maps would be very useful.

ViewPort - I can get specular in the viewport only sometimes at work. (when i open a file, but once i start editing then it breaks). All the time when im at home. Not sure what the cause of this is, but even with the specular still isnt as good as Xgen display. 

shotSculpting hair - I have seen various solutions in the process of shot sculpting hair, i would love to have a proper system on achieving this.  

I will be submitting these to the official RFE directly to support

• Like 1

they already started to rewrite some of that hda hair stuff into C++ in 18.5. Hairgen::2.0  and HairClump::2.0 already have their haeviest parts as c++ nodes. They become something like 10x faster after that. But Clump 2.0 is also buggier than legacy one. Lets hope they've been cleaning that up for 19, and maybe rewrote some other nodes too.

Things that would make life easier:

1. Reorder multiparam blocks (like this)

2. Bezier curves on ramps

3. VEX multi-dimensional arrays (arrays of arrays...)

4. Solaris network snapshot gallery in SOPS

5. Upgrade COPS so that Houdini can compete with Substance Designer...

6. Destructive modelling suite

7. Fix Touch Designer integration

• Like 1

- Match Topology node, add the Match Vertex Order option

- Move curve seams to selected point id

- In the sort SOP better sorting option acording to bbox, with sort in X,Y,Z or from a referenced starting position but with curves continuity preservation and not just according to distance.

- PolyLoft with quad topology

- add an option in the skin SOP to realign curves profile automatically when lofting cv with same point number

Edited by sebkaine

Posted (edited)

Better curves... Just this one thing. Please! Selecting point by point is such a pain :D Having multiple curves in one node, easily selected by box select is dream come true.

edit: oh and more blender integration would be nice!

Edited by mikuspikus
forget blender ;)
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, mikuspikus said:

Better curves... Just this one thing. Please! Selecting point by point is such a pain :D Having multiple curves in one node, easily selected by box select is dream come true.

What kind of Blender integration do you have in mind?

Just HDA in Blender. There are some old community made solutions like https://github.com/eliemichel/HoudiniEngineForBlender and there's even a Blenders renderer inside Houdini (how cool is that?! :D)

I understand that there are problems with licensing in Blender, but it can be done and i can wish :)

Oh and one more tiny thing - setting pivots in fbx rop output! The Path Attribute added earlier is an awesome change. In games, pivots are very important when it comes to rendering and sorting things for the camera.

Overlay network editor would be nice to have built-in in H19 or 20 :)

I have been using it for more than 2 years in production, so the video I initially uploaded is severely outdated. Will update once H19 is released.

• Like 3

On 8.10.2021 at 12:37 AM, mikuspikus said:

Just HDA in Blender. There are some old community made solutions like https://github.com/eliemichel/HoudiniEngineForBlender and there's even a Blenders renderer inside Houdini (how cool is that?! :D)

There is Houdini engine with python api. That should solve the license issue's. Integration shouldn't be that hard.

https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/hapi/

• Like 1

- pyro sparse gpu support

- karma XPU out of beta (or out of alpha)

- some type of material point method like disney uses it for their snow stuff in frozen

- viewport improvements

- some type of new realtime engine for the viewport kinda like blender has it (it's called eevee I believe)

On 10/6/2021 at 9:48 PM, mikuspikus said:

aaaaand there it is. New shiny curves in ver 19. Thanks a lot! It's funny how happy that change made me. What have I became :D

On 10/12/2021 at 7:28 PM, Mandrake0 said:

There is Houdini engine with python api. That should solve the license issue's. Integration shouldn't be that hard.

https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/hapi/

It's hard for me ;) I'm more of a hobbist-artist than a programmer but thanks.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2021 at 1:54 AM, mikuspikus said:

aaaaand there it is. New shiny curves in ver 19. Thanks a lot!

Probably best to reserve praises for when we'll have had the chance to do some testing.

And the same for criticizing.

Edited by McNistor
  • Like 1