Sign in to follow this  
Masoud

RBD issue: How can I bring them to stop?

Hello guys,

In a simple RBD simulation, when I replace the "Ground Plane" collision DOP with my Collision-Box, the rigid body objects never stop moving! How can I bring them to stop?

(When I use the "Ground Plane" node, everything is ok!). I tried to use the " rbdautofreeze DOP", but it doesn't work.

Thanks for helping.

RBD.gif

RBDs_01.hip

Are you sure your collision box is set up properly? The default setting uses a convex hull operation to simplify the incoming collision geo. Normally that will create a solid box, so your objects (which are inside the solid box) are constantly intersecting with the collision geo creating a solve that is mathmatically impossible, creating jitter. Try setting the collision type from "convex hull" to concave.

Search "Houdini RBD jitter" for endless discussions of this. There's also a good masterclass that Jeff Wagner did a while back all on collisions that is very helpful.

Try using a groundplane, instead of the inside of a VDB box. Set your  Sleeping Time to 0.1.

rbd_sleep.gif

Edited by Atom

Hi Atom,

I want to use my custom collision object, so why a "groundplane" works fine, but my collision doesn't?

As Geoff suggested, your collision surface may not be setup correctly. They're probably bouncing around due to the gaps in your vdb supplied collider. Instead, model a box with some extruded thickness and supply that, not as a vdb, but as surface polygons. VDB colliders are for pyro and flip sims.

Edited by Atom

Really recommend Jeff Wagner's talk on RBD collisions. I switched from VDB to surface and lowered the collision padding a touch to .01. That seems to work.

RBDs_02.hipnc