Applying Corrective shapes with kinefx

CrsBns

Using the localtransform should work like you say. That's good idea.

I don't think there's a wrong way for anything right now. Whatever works for you... For me, using multiple rig poses is more about rethinking how I rig. Instead of building out these very complex full body rigs in Maya that only work for a small set of use cases, I've started thinking about rigging as something more modular. I can build out separate HDAs for different body parts and then just call them up as needed. Throw down a FK spine or a curve IK spine or a bendy spine, then add an FK/IK leg for a human or switch it out for a dog-leg FK/IK if I'm going a quadruped. I can build a character rig out of separate pieces as needed.

But yes, it would require you to separate off blend shapes by body part. But again, I think that makes sense. Have a library of hand blend shapes, one of face blend shapes. You can still have a library of full body poses that you can split off by body part. But I can reuse my hand blend shapes across multiple rigs, etc...

The multiple rig poses are a bit of a disaster when you're working at SOP level, but once you start wrapping things up as HDAs, you can set which controls are visible and it starts to become more manageable. It allows me to separate out different sections of the rig as discrete HDAs. But that's just me.

I started thinking about this reading stuff over on CGwiki. He takes a completely different approach. Using a single rig pose and split it out all over the place to drive different sections of the rig. It works for him...

https://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki/index.php?title=HoudiniKinefx#IK_Chain_Legs_Setup

Anyway, let me know how the testing goes. As I said I'm in the early stages of a project where I'm going to have to revisit this stuff in a few weeks, so I'd love to see how it works in real life.

I've bookmarked the link and will check it out soon. What you are saying makes sense and I would be very interested in seeing an example of your rig setup once you are done with your project. I am working at the SOP level just out of simplicity and don't really know what I'm doing.

My setup looks like the img I've attatched. Most of the posing is done in the IK but extra stuff can be done in hands and FK. I use animation channels for each to more easily keyframe them up. Still feels pretty amatuer ish though.

Once I build a new rig I'll try out the corrective shapes technique you made and see if it works out ok but so far so good!

rigSetup.jpg