Sign in to follow this  
rickvdvulkaan

multiple swirling lines animation

playing around with the trail node.. I have a single point waving around, with a trail. then i connected the points with an add node, and i now have a swirling line. i then added a sweep node to give it some geometry. awesome!

Then i wanted to have a few more of those lines, kind of in sync, but with a little bit of randomness. maybe even some wind in the "tail". So i thought i was smart, and in the beginning of the stream, i didn't start with a single point but with a circle with 12 points. to add the randomness i added a mountain node. But here's where i got stuck. The lines are now not in the "length", but it follows the circle, due to the point numbering i guess. I think it will make a little more sense what i'm after when viewing the hip file, i added it to this post as an attachment. On the left is the result for a single line, on the right there is the attempt to have multiple lines.

is there a way to let the trail or add "know" how to create the lines?

lines.hiplc

Check out the red nodes. If you add an ID to points before you trail them, the new "trailed" points will inherit that attribute. The Add node can leverage that attribute to make individual lines from the lead and trailing points.

ap_lines.hiplc

trail.gif

Edited by Atom

that's terrific! 

Now another question arises; what would be a smart way to offset them in time, let them "race" ?