How to deselect geometries in view mode?

raincole

How do you deselect geometries in view mode?

For example, I have this simple setup:

61f375834e47c_Screenshot2022-01-28123544.thumb.png.c5cff12e1a48ff02c5a00e3e61c9a36b.png

When the display flag on the UV Texture node, the primitive being UV'ed is always selected. How to deselect it? Even I press S, select nothing, and then press ESC, it gets selected again immediately.

Ok, maybe UV Texture node always holds its selection? But even on the Null node after it, the same thing still happens!

61f3758b3d305_Screenshot2022-01-28123956.thumb.png.cb75308ee1f37444d0e1c4f2a73f82ca.png

Is it by design? Why does Null "remember" the previous node's selection?

The only workaround I've found is to create a completely unrelated node, like Add or Name. But it doesn't make any sense. Why do I have to create something unrelated to deselect?

I know it sounds like a noob question. But it has already bothered me for weeks and I've spent hours googling it. Plus I'm a noob anyway.

hm, the way you describing it doesn't sound like a familiar behavior to me.

if i select something - like a polygon - it remains selected until i do another selection. if i want to deselect, i just click the empty space while in selection mode (S). There's nothing more to it as far as I'm aware.

selecting different nodes in network view is not altering the actual geometry selection.

also, if you just beginning with Houdini, what I think may be confusing is concept of having a representation of "Displayed geometry", "Current geometry" and "Template geometry". This is not affecting your selection but it affects how objects are displayed in viewport and may be confusing to somebody who is not aware.

hope that helps.