Daa And Other Agencies

ivan

good to see you on this list, Bob!

I'll ask these questions here in this public forum; other people might be interested in the answer

so, as an employer, if I find an overseas artist I'd like to hire onto a project, but the single project is not sufficient to sponsor their visa, could I refer them to you?

And what if I contact you for a list of artists and find that you are representing a friend I was already talking to, will I suddenly need to pay you extra for him/her?

Bob Coleman here from DAA. I appreciate the threads I've been reading about us however I 'd like to calrify a couple of things.

There are Talent agencies and Employment Agencies.

The talent agency business model is a contract relationship between talent and agent. Talent agencies in the business of procurring work for talent and negotiating on their behalf, need to be licenced in the state they operate in. The repespective state labor commissions must approve their contracts before a license is granted, generally for the protection of the talent. These commissions also deem 10%, no more no less, as the appropriate and allowable commission. Talent agencies do not recruit or recruit on behalf of employers. They owe their allegience and loyalties to their contracted clients, the talent/artists.

The Employment agency business model is a contract relationship between the agency and the employer. There allegiences areTo my knowledge, no license or state department oversight exists. Fees to employers range from 10% to 35% but probably average around 20%-25%. While there is no contact with the talent, their contract with the employers can often bind the talent to the agency indirectly. Something to be watched carefully.

Anyone who attempts to do both recruiting and talent representation, I believe is in a conflict of interest.

With respect to the threads on Houdini Effects TD's, they are in great demand, which may explain why agencies, employment or talent, may not have many available artists. If an FX TD is a dedicated freelancer and doesn't enjoy the job pursuit, an agent can be very helpful.

DAA and like talent agencies can also sponsor an artists visa which allows the artists to work many places without having to constantly transfer visas. This can be a majoe value to overseas talent

good to see you on this list, Bob!

-Hey Ivan thanks for the response! I hope I am replying correctly :unsure:

I'll ask these questions here in this public forum; other people might be interested in the answer

so, as an employer, if I find an overseas artist I'd like to hire onto a project, but the single project is not sufficient to sponsor their visa, could I refer them to you?

- If the intention of your referral is for the long term benefit and well being of that particular artist, (as opposed to the short term benefit of solving your particular hiring effort) then I would say yes of course please refer them! ;) Visa applications from a talent agency are not accomplished overnight. They involve attorneys! Need I say more! And therefore need to be carefully considered in the best interests of both parties.

And what if I contact you for a list of artists and find that you are representing a friend I was already talking to, will I suddenly need to pay you extra for him/her?

-Firstly, you as an employer/customer never pay any fees to DAA. We are paid by our clients directly. Is 10% built into the rate? Of course we try to recover our fees in the compensation negotiation but in the end, it's a negotiation ultimately approved by our client.

-Secondly, the terms of our contract with a particular artist is exclusive. BTW, this is the only way the Talent Agency business model can work. This means that regardless of how the job came to light really is not material. This is how we can put up on our website all our clients information replete with links to their individual websites which certainly has their contact information for all to see. In fact we encourage our customers to contact our clients on all creative matters. Our philosophy is not to interfere with relationship building between our clients and our mutual customers.

I hope this makes sense :unsure:

Bob