aliaq95

Grouping clusters and Isolation to create more detail

Hi guys, 

So I have made a an overall form with sharp edges created in and around to what will be a spaceship/ procedural model. However, I can't seem to separate the group clusters separately to Poly extrude in their specific normals. 

Thanks! First time posting here! :D

Space cruiser.hip

something strange going on with the cluster integer attribute, normally a split node would do the job, but in this case I just did a very simple conversion to float in a vop and it started working as expected.

Space cruiser.hiplc

• Thanks 1

You can use Point Split SOP to split using the cluster attribute.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Hey guys, thank you for all the solutions and tips, super inspired by Akira Saito's work so I definitely wanted to build something. Will be continuing this and keeping posted on the progression of this! PS Not really fluent in VEX. Also don't know how to individually reply but Appreciate this community here! :D

Edited by aliaq95

On 6/30/2022 at 2:34 PM, animatrix said:

You can use Point Split SOP to split using the cluster attribute.

Can you elaborate this please?

If you have a prim attribute, you can use it to split the geo into separate pieces like this:

image.thumb.png.7b7298e8c93c2855aebd274c7c6094a7.png

2 hours ago, animatrix said:

If you have a prim attribute, you can use it to split the geo into separate pieces like this:

image.thumb.png.7b7298e8c93c2855aebd274c7c6094a7.png

Aha thank you, then I misunderstood what the point split does, its purpose is to create clusters then?
In Akira Saito's presentation at 31:02 min. he is using the now depricated vertex split. (in the documentation it says we should use the point split instead, as you did).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghD79dVZZ_o&t=1766s

It seems to however be used to dissolve some vertices instead, maybe I am misunderstanding the footage.

Which ties into a question @Caskal once asked.

That's basically what I am trying to find out

Edited by crispr_boi

10 hours ago, crispr_boi said:

Aha thank you, then I misunderstood what the point split does, its purpose is to create clusters then?
In Akira Saito's presentation at 31:02 min. he is using the now depricated vertex split. (in the documentation it says we should use the point split instead, as you did).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghD79dVZZ_o&t=1766s

It seems to however be used to dissolve some vertices instead, maybe I am misunderstanding the footage.

Which ties into a question @Caskal once asked.

That's basically what I am trying to find out

It's hard to see what he is doing from looking at that part, but if you want to split the geometry at arbitrary places by adding new detail along those edges across the faces, then I recommend this approach: