nijel

Procedural Silicon Rock

Hey everyone, I'm a generalist newcomer, I've been lurking for some time around Houdini and lately found some time to get into it.

I decided to start my learning with a classic, procedural rock generation, I've been following some nice tutorials with good results (youtube.com/watch?v=2oC9TOgQ3KE 
youtube.com/watch?v=-IcOKBNNfyo&list=PLNbgmFvU__fiEIv-g12l5KDiW1YAH9MRt&index=2)

So I decided to do my own version of it and I wanted to recreate this kind of silicon mineral, because I find the form of the surface (and material) really fascinating.
Now, I think the general setup from the turorials I followed gets me in the right direction for the shape of the rock, I can get the sharp edges and all.
What I am struggling with are the smaller details, the tiny grooves that follow the direction of a face, the diversity in the surfaces the fact that some faces stay smooth while others are sharp and jagged.

The tutorials I followed use vop noise layers (both vdb and geometry version) to generate details in the form, but I cannot seem to find a good combination of noises to get close to tis shape.
I am even wondering if the vop approach is at fault here, and maybe I need to try something else for something like this. But I don't know what exactly.

So I wanted to ask fro help and advice from the more experienced users, let me know if you have some ideas or knowledge you can share on this problem!

image.thumb.png.1d6cfd604c08934cea83e437e62c5a82.png
image.thumb.png.045739b2cb82f119d4ce528ca360ebe8.pngimage.png.3dd6a5bb4582b8c44b67d015bd87ea93.png

• Like 1

Update, I spent some hours more on the generator and I came up with some interesting results. I consider these to be pretty close to what I aimed but I do feel there's still room to improve.

I followed this process ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oC9TOgQ3KE ) with point vops and went through different kind of noise iterations.

Suggestion for improvement are welcomed!

These are rendered in blender w octane, the look is a bit different from the suer polished one that I posted as reference, but the structure I followed is the same

photo_5859666557184096763_y.thumb.jpg.6b3802b9a50746d316eb175c156b45b0.jpgphoto_5859666557184096762_y.thumb.jpg.336d5bad4f172c4ed25c49e20de41304.jpg

• Like 1