Road Destruction

MIguel P

hi Miquel,

Your work is the best man! First of all I have to say that I am not good at expression thingy at all, but I would like to learn more.

I have been looking at this thread so many times already, and now it's the right time for me to do the broken ground thing. I am doing my Master project (http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?showtopic=5611); You can check out what my idea is about there. Basically, in my project, I would have the wires coming up from the ground (a road) and form into a huge tree trunk. Therefore, for the ground, there will be some dynamics involved.

I downloaded your "brokenground.hip", and I tried to follow what you did. It came out fine, but I just don't understand every node and expressions you used. I feel like cheating if I don't understand everything in there. I just don't understand what "prim$PR" is for in the Partition node? And why did you use Copy sop? What is the stamp function doing in the Delete sop? Honestly, I am just not smart enough to understand all the expressions you applied in the nodes there. Please bear with me :)

Before seeing your hip file, I thought breaking a ground with the Dynamics system should be very simple. I thought I would just Polysplit my grid in pieces and Polyextrude it, and then I would just take that to DOPs and have the dynamics system do its work automatically. I guess it's not that simple like I expected. Where can I learn more about the expressions and functions thing? Thanks in advance Miguel ;)

cherm

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello cherm, and thank you!

The expression in the partition puts each primitive in a group, and sets the name to prim0, prim1, prim2... The copy and delete sops are the end and the start of a loop. I use that to apply the modificatios separately for each chunk. There are many examples of that in odforce, just do a search.

The DOP sim is pretty simple, just an animated noisy sphere that collides with the chunks. There aren't strange expression in the dopnet.

To learn about expressions look for example hip files and read the help when you don't know what the expression does. That's what I did.

yeah miguel iam on the way, now at the shading lvl. because i wanna make it easy to set different shaders to the broken inside faces.... on the other side of the hand i have to do alot at work. i work in feature film....in germany, and so i got sometimes no brain to do something at home...:) but iam on the road.-...........next time i will post some pictures.........

Cool. I really want to see your works, guys.

yeah miguel iam on the way, now at the shading lvl. because i wanna make it easy to set different shaders to the broken inside faces.

That's very easy. There is an option in the polyextrude SOP to create grups from the middle, back and front faces. Shade the upper one with your road shader and the others with some like asfalt.

Be sure you delete these groups for the simulation, or DOPs will see them as another chunk.

Hi Miquel,

I did some tests on the Dynamics, but I ran into one problem. Please check my two different results. I don't know why the second result (TDynamics02) came out differently. All I did was that I just replaced the sphere with the wire. The wire just cut through the broken ground without any collision at all. I used the rbdobject for both the sphere (it's the defualt object that comes with the node) and wire, and I used the rbdfracturedobject for the broken ground. And I checked the collision guide, and it's ok. So I don't know what's going on here. please guide me the way.

TDynamics01.mov

TDynamics02.mov

cheers

cherm

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Unfortunately Miguel doesn't seem to be around that much any more. Does anybody know what happened to him?

I'm a little curious too. It's been around 2 years since he's been to Odforce, and it looks like his website has been replaced with a (German?) site about Disability Insurance. :blink:

Maybe he got jaded with the industry before he even started?

It's too bad really, he was really ahead of his age and an inspiration to me. I like to think that he moved on to a more serious field as he learned about more complex mathematics/physics. Or that he went to MIT/Stanford to study more on cg... but I doubt he would be able to resist posting any of his results on this forum as I think he liked to hang out here. Maybe I'll try contacting the guy that did the article on him, maybe he knows what he's up to. Wherever he is, I hope he is doing well. It's impressive when two years after you've last posted, people still remember. He left a bit of a legacy :).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...