Final Container Surface.

Hi,

After working on this project for 7 weeks, it is finally completed.

The goal was creating a procedural surface shader for a massive number of CG containers, utilizing rust and some weathering.

The shader generates different container textures based on a "Container Age Attribute". New containers have less rust and damage... old ones have more rust and more damage...

The shader cycles through different labels, sub labels and container brands.

I have created two scenes, one close-up and one wide shot. In both scenes the surfaces are generated by the shader based on the opdigits("../..") value. This is used for the "Container Age Attribute".

//

This issue has been discussed under the following topics:

"Creating Rust And Controlling The Distribution On A Surface"

"Growing Procedural Texture"

//

Thanks to everybody on odForce, especially "DaJuice"

Thanks to my friends and tutors here at NCCA.

drift_v2_300.jpg

drift_v2_301.jpg

The VEX Network:

network.jpg

Although the networks seems to be complicated, most of the functions are related to the interface and

are used to provide the user a visual feedback and control over the final result.

The Interface:

interface_01.jpg

interface_02.jpg

interface_03.jpg

//

The Final Sequence:

drift_v2.mov

//

cool network and cool movie!

Could be some more frames, though.

Are the numbers (in vex top right "add numbers") procedural or a collection of maps?

Georg

Hi,

Thanks. I wish I had time to do some more scenes... But due to a deadline and complexity of rendering different passes... I was able to set up just two scenes...

But I have the pipeline and workflow ready... with the shader it is just a matter of time to set up a new scene... and render it... And this is what i will do at the first chance... There are 6 more scenes.... there is a short story actually going on... this is just a demo... a test...

"add numbers" is where the tiny number and various labels are added... they all are texture maps... a few texture maps cycle amaongs each other and the color of the texture map is changed based on the color of the container... if it is a bright color the numbers are black... if it a dark color container the numbers are white... the numbers are seen only in close-ups... so it is still effective...

Thanks,

I know it looks sythetic...

:(

But i did not aim for a photorealistic look anyway... i just wanted to go for a good enough esthetics... it is not good enough to be a scene in a movie... but I think it is good enough for a comercial or something...

I do not know...

:(

Very nice work. I would love to see your vop network in more detail.

cool shader.

It is actually quite a big mess... there are some clever node combinations ofcourse :)

But what makes the network big is that I have output going into switchers... so that the user can preview specific stage of the process... like for example only the areas where the rust is applied... or only that actual color of the rust... things like that... and parameters for the main controls... these things make the network crowded... I will try to put together a short description with some more detailed screen shots... but the work load is quite heavy here... I hope I will be able to put a small site or kind of an online document...

The thing is that... I did not get quite positive feedbacks about my work from my tutors... so I kind of feel disappointed about all the work and effort I put in this thing... I do not know... I lost my motivation about it after all those heavy critics...

• 4 weeks later...
It is actually quite a big mess... there are some clever node combinations ofcourse :)

But what makes the network big is that I have output going into switchers... so that the user can preview specific stage of the process... like for example only the areas where the rust is applied... or only that actual color of the rust... things like that... and parameters for the main controls... these things make the network crowded... I will try to put together a short description with some more detailed screen shots... but the work load is quite heavy here... I hope I will be able to put a small site or kind of an online document...

The thing is that... I did not get quite positive feedbacks about my work from my tutors... so I kind of feel disappointed about all the work and effort I put in this thing... I do not know... I lost my motivation about it after all those heavy critics...

hi Symbolic, sorry for my delay been away on my hols, i can imagine your vop network is a little crazy and dont be disappointed with the results from your tutors,creating complicated vop networks and shaders that work efficiently and are easy to understand for others is not an easy task. From what i have seen you have some very nice set ups in your shader.

i take it you were using Arbs to view exclusive parts/ passes of your vop network as it can be difficult to keep track on what is actually contributing to a specific

layer or texture when designing the vop and then using them as a final shop.

Well done keep up the vops.

Hi jedijones,

Sorry for my late reply. :(

I was dealing with my new project. About the shader, I learned alot on these forums and it was real fun to work on something like that... despite the fact that I got carried away with it and could not focus on the other aspects of the project... like compositing etc...

Thanks for the feedback and for your support. I really feel better now :)

...What are "Arbs" by the way?

Anyway I have a new challenge facing me for the next few weeks... I am trying to put together some previz materials so I can address the problems easily... but this new project will keep me away from the VOPs for a while :(

I will start posting crazy questions very soon :P

thanks to everybody.