Maelstrom

MIguel P

Hello people.

I'm back with a scene inspired on the maelstrom sequence from Pirates of the Caribbean 3. A giant whirlpool in the middle of the ocean.

It's completely done using Houdini, of course. I used perlin noise for the waves and a chain of noises to create the foam, all in VOPs.

Maybe I will add some elements, I don't know.

Hope you like it :)

And see it full screen!

Maelstrom

post-1215-1183633606_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you. Glad you like it :)

Can the whirlpool whirl further - or will it twist and collapse?

Is this just sops?

Yes, it is just SOPs. If the whirlpool continues further it would collapse.

Kubabuk, the foam is made connecting various noises i VOPs. You can connect the result of a noise to the position input of other noise node, or add it to the original position, etc. Voronoi, Anti-aliased and Worley worked very well for my scene. In my scene it is also controlled by SOP attributes to determinate the areas of density and fading with the distance.

Edited by MIguel P

• 1 month later...
What did you use for the deformation? Wave/noise CHOPS? Care to enlighten me, as every time I try to deform a grid for an ocean scene, I always get errors.

Great job Miguel!

Sorry for the necro-post!

Perlin noise in SOPs (vex mountain) for the low frequency waves, and a displacement shader made in VOPs using perlin noise and various octaves for the high frequency waves.

• 3 months later...
hello Miguel

Your ocean is very realistic :)

I am very basic user houndini:) and learning this software :) Could you explain me (step by step) how make this ocean in Houndini ?:) or maybe share this scene:)

Thx :)

Well... I certanly can't explain it step by step, would bee very difficult, and there are many things you have to discover trying by yourself (this scene is full of those things).

The main thing here is the shader work. To start with oceans I suggest you to look at the Houdini Ocean Toolkit (I didn't use it here), that brings some scenes with an implementation of an ocean shader in VOPs.

thx MIguel

but I don't understand only how you make foam in your ocean. Could you explain only how make foam Vop shader ?:)

thx and happy christmas :)

The foam is a layer of noise (well, a chain of noises) added to the basic ocean shader, not a separate one.

• 9 months later...