Sign in to follow this  
web_sdas

Import From Maya

Hi, everybody, i am a new user of houdini 9. I am trying to import geometry from maya to Houdini.

However, i don't knwo how to do this. Actually, maybe i can import a .obj file to houdini (am i right?),

but how can i create a .obj from maya (since i can't find this file type option).

Please help, everybody!! Thank you very much!!

Hi, everybody, i am a new user of houdini 9. I am trying to import geometry from maya to Houdini.

However, i don't knwo how to do this. Actually, maybe i can import a .obj file to houdini (am i right?),

but how can i create a .obj from maya (since i can't find this file type option).

Please help, everybody!! Thank you very much!!

To export an obj from Maya you need to first open the plug-in manager and load the objExport plugin because its not loaded in Maya by default. Once thats loaded then go to File>Export Selection and select the OBJ export option.

Bring the .obj into Houdini using a File SOP. Once you have the obj in Houdini then you will need to flip the normals and reverse the faces. To do this, you need to lay down a Reverse SOP followed by a point SOP. In the point SOP turn on "Add Normals" and change $NX, $NY, $NZ to -$NX, -$NY, -$NZ.