Feathers

cherm

i managed to stick them all to the body (dummy test), but once the self-collision is ticked, meshes of the feathers are going crazy. How can i fix that? :(

by the way, i used ClothObject in DOPs.

cheers

Edited by cherm

you might also want to investigate other methods that don't involve huge amounts of geometry...

the fur tools for one...not easy but something to think about

thanks michael. i would love to do fur for once, but the thing is i was told to experiment on dynamics. there are only a few bits of the body that dynamics is needed, so i would have to stick with dynamics first, at least just for now. thanks again for your suggestion :)

Edited by cherm

how are you building your Feathers?

if build them from curves (ie. extrude them the desired width) then you could use the curves in the Wire Solver in DOPs to get some dynamics, although interpentrations will probably still be a problem this way

just a thought!

how are you building your Feathers?

if build them from curves (ie. extrude them the desired width) then you could use the curves in the Wire Solver in DOPs to get some dynamics, although interpentrations will probably still be a problem this way

just a thought!

we used curves to build the feathers, and i also tried that Wire Solver, and you're right about the interpentrations :(. I also tried Cloth Solver as well, which gave me the same interpentration probs. Right now i'm trying to fix that.....do you know how to fix that? One other thing....Do you happen to know how to combine wire object and cloth object together?

cheers

for the cloth since i'm assuming your sim'ing all the feathers at once, you'll probably have to make sure that "self-intersections" is on, which will grinding your sim down alot, but should work to fix your interpentration problems, although i'm not sure if it will do it well as i'm not a super fan of the results of houdini cloth (love houdini in general though), maybe playing with the stiffness will help of course, but do post back with your results, i'm definitely curious what you get out of it.

Feathers are pretty rigid really, you may want to try sim'ing it as an RBD object, you will have to create groups on your feather geometry so that the RDB object will pick up the individual feathers as separate objects (see the Fracture.otl for a how to on that if your stuck).

haven't done much wire and cloth solver stuff, would love to, sounds like fun!!

good luck!!

for the cloth since i'm assuming your sim'ing all the feathers at once, you'll probably have to make sure that "self-intersections" is on, which will grinding your sim down alot, but should work to fix your interpentration problems, although i'm not sure if it will do it well as i'm not a super fan of the results of houdini cloth (love houdini in general though), maybe playing with the stiffness will help of course, but do post back with your results, i'm definitely curious what you get out of it.

Feathers are pretty rigid really, you may want to try sim'ing it as an RBD object, you will have to create groups on your feather geometry so that the RDB object will pick up the individual feathers as separate objects (see the Fracture.otl for a how to on that if your stuck).

haven't done much wire and cloth solver stuff, would love to, sounds like fun!!

good luck!!

Sorry Jeffrey, I'm still stuck with it, and I will post a result on when i'm done. By the way, do you think I can paint some groups of the feathers in SOPs level and make just that particular painted area effective in DOPs (cloth)? How can I get that painted area to work in DOPs?

Many thanks

i might be missing what you want, but i'm assuming by painting you mean to have only certain feathers influenced by the sim.

if thats so, you would probably want to build groups instead of using painted attributes.

i'll send you a hip file explaining what i mean, hopefully it will help, but i'm afraid my network is an rbd setup and not cloth, but maybe its still doable for cloth, i'm just haven't played with it too much unfortunately.

otherwise, you should take a look at the Gnomon Houdini DVDs, as in DOPs what you do is attach data to your DOPs cloth geometry and that data can then be used to influence the solver. Craig does a great job explaining it in the DVD, so really just watch it, its cool too!!

sorry... just posting to the forum instead...

so yeah, this is a rbd setup but if you middleclick on the rdbfractureobj you can see how the objects are found from the way i did my group in the sop network. this is how the facture.otl work in dops.

you can enter RBD Fractured Object as well as the Cloth Object so you might be able to create Multi Cloth Object in this manner, although now that i think about it, i may have been a little overzealous, but definitely look the Gnomon Houdini stuff.. it rocks!! and the attaching data to your dops is very powerfull!!

hmmm... don't think i attached it... sorry.. here i go again!

sorry... just posting to the forum instead...

so yeah, this is a rbd setup but if you middleclick on the rdbfractureobj you can see how the objects are found from the way i did my group in the sop network. this is how the facture.otl work in dops.

you can enter RBD Fractured Object as well as the Cloth Object so you might be able to create Multi Cloth Object in this manner, although now that i think about it, i may have been a little overzealous, but definitely look the Gnomon Houdini stuff.. it rocks!! and the attaching data to your dops is very powerfull!!

hmmm... don't think i attached it... sorry.. here i go again!

thank you for the hip file. I'll check out the Gnomon Houdini again. I watched it before and I forgot.

There's one thing that's been bugging me since I've been doing Cloth, that is, Self-Collision. Once I have it ticked on, it either takes ages to sim or crashes. Is there any way to overcome that?

Thanks again. you're the best!!! man

i'm afraid not ... thats why i'm not a super fan of Houdini Cloth, its not the most efficient or robust solver, i'm sure sesi can improve it loads, but i'm guessing their focused on other areas of the package.

The only other options would be write your own solver using the HDK, or use another package like Syflex.

If I had the time, I would write it myself, sounds like a fun project.

Alternatively, you could try soft bodies that might be enough to get it down.

good luck man!

i'm afraid not ... thats why i'm not a super fan of Houdini Cloth, its not the most efficient or robust solver, i'm sure sesi can improve it loads, but i'm guessing their focused on other areas of the package.

The only other options would be write your own solver using the HDK, or use another package like Syflex.

If I had the time, I would write it myself, sounds like a fun project.

Alternatively, you could try soft bodies that might be enough to get it down.

good luck man!

thanks man

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'll go without the self-collision. I'll try to cheat a bit by turning the Fan Force around to make it blow the feathers away the body a bit in order to avoid the self-collision (doing it according to an angle of different shots). I hope I can get away with it.