Snow

nosferatu_037

Hi people,

I've recently started to learn houdini and tried to make a system in which I could generate snow on top of an object (something similar to this http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?showtopic=6098 ) using a complete procedural approach using VOPs,and then blow off the same snow off of the tree.It's still in development,but I'll be posting a complete OTL,or the scene if OTL becomes too complicated for me as soon as I'm finished.

I'd like to hear your comments.

Here are some playblasts:

snegStresi2.avi

snegStresi3.avi

snegStresi5.avi

snegStresi9.avi

p.s. snegStresi means shakeOffSnow on serbian ;)

Edited by nosferatu_037

thanx guys,

there is no volumetrics in there,just 200k particles,2 lights,one with deep shadows,and lowered shutter time for sharper motion blur.

and there is a problem with deep shadows,it flickers alot.i should probably set the resolution higher or sampling.

can anyone tell me what could be the problem?

thanx

i'll keep posting new images.

and there is a problem with deep shadows,it flickers alot.i should probably set the resolution higher or sampling.

can anyone tell me what could be the problem?

Usually this is caused by undersampling, yes - and usually very easy to defeat. I'd make sure your light's view is quite tight around the particles (look through your light to check) and increase the shadowmap resolution to something like 1024x1024. Also, you can leave the resolution lower and set you Pixel Samples to 2x2 or 3x3 or something.

Usually this is caused by undersampling, yes - and usually very easy to defeat. I'd make sure your light's view is quite tight around the particles (look through your light to check) and increase the shadowmap resolution to something like 1024x1024. Also, you can leave the resolution lower and set you Pixel Samples to 2x2 or 3x3 or something.

thanx Jason,

I'll give it a try.