Unofficial Displacement Rendering Challenge

eetu

Question for Jason.

Hi Jason.

Why are you using VOP Displament node with that expression on it .I didnt get it is there and alternative for this .I tried vex dispalcement with the displacement map but it doesn't seems to work .Can you shed some more lite on it Thanks .

regards,

Zohaib Ahsan

Eetu :- In the mantra output Rop there is a property page with your name on. Whats this for and how do you add them .

You can add your own generic parameters as well as tabs from under the gear icon on the top right of the parameters panel. These are a generalized version of the spare parameters of old.

I dropped in a tab of my own to test different rendering parameters that are not exposed by default. These can be added from under the same gear icon.

I'm still a bit confused about where each of the rendering parameters belong, in the object container or in the rop or somewhere else..

BTW, beautiful renders everybody!

Keep 'em coming (and don't forget the .hips :)

eetu.

This is a great thread indeed. Learning lots and also poking around Lots . On the geometry node I added a displacement bound value and added some interesting properties on dicing which I have just been trying to find out about.There were more I could add but not got round to that ....

simpledisp.rar

post-1566-1205127619_thumb.jpg

Question for Jason.

Hi Jason.

Why are you using VOP Displament node with that expression on it .I didnt get it is there and alternative for this .I tried vex dispalcement with the displacement map but it doesn't seems to work .Can you shed some more lite on it Thanks .

regards,

Zohaib Ahsan

hey check ur pm :)

j

Haha..Mario, just so that you know, we deliberately switched to Houdini at AXIS (Glasgow). Just for the sake of confusing the hell out of the community :lol:

Hehehe.... oooops! Sorry everyone. I hadn't downloaded the hipfile... I just assumed.

My bad. Apologies to our friends from Glasgow!

Cheers.

Well I am simply stunned to see how good Mantra is at displacement. This little ole rock is using noise to push points along their normals and then a displacment shader on top for added detail , such a breeze to do compared to MR and Maya

post-1566-1205386655_thumb.jpg

Edited by rob

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I've just seen the thread and I think all renders are great just great.

so nice job everyone :)

-------

(I agree with peter, one of these would easily be the splash screen for H9) :)

Good Stuff! I really like this cave.

Here's a displacement nice error i got by mistake :)

• 2 years later...