Houdini 2.5 Manual Found!

daisuke

I have a new friend who is starting to become interested in 3d world.. surprisingly he said that he has an old 3d learning book so I looked at it..

It was a printed Houdini 2.5 manual!!! I quite like how the tips are written in the manual. Can these techniques be used in current version?

Funny thing is that he does not know when or where he got it from.. :lol:

I imagine that for the nodes and expressions, it would mostly be applicable. For the UI, obviously no. However, parameters may have changed labels over the years or behave in slightly different ways. Plus some nodes no longer exist.

Where there .pdf version back then as well? Perhaps SideFX would be so gentle and release it to the public.

Anyways cool stuff , very rare :)

From what I remember, 3.0 definitely had PDF manuals. It even had a separate volume called Cokkbook with all sorts of tips&tricks...similar to the Houdini on the spot book.

I used to have a v4 DVD (CD?) and the belonging black spiraled tutorial book, but I have no idea where it is now.

Also used to have a v4 (?) GUI introduction VHS presented by Jeff Wagner..again, no clue where it is :(

Oh, it wasn't just expressions..I remember at least couple of chapters on Lsystems, the Isosurface SOP (talking about how to make a cheese with some expressions :D), parachute modeling and whatnot..

Most of them made their ways to the main help, I guess others were just deprecated.

Hi all!

Actually i have all these PDFs on my computer. :) :) :)

There were sooo good i kept them ( mine came along with Houdini 5.x, i guess it's even better but from what i see, they look identical) and i still use them once in a while to check things. ( That's the doc i used intensively to learn Houdini at that time, it was well written, well organized, and some relevant info may only be here).

I've never felt very comfortable with the html help actually.

The expression cookbook and the l-systems were very nice actually. Nice tutorials as well.

I'm gonna ask if i can upload them somewhere.

-d

don't bother scanning anything...these pdfs are around...

the only reason we haven't uploaded them to the site is that in some cases they're not that useful and they're SESI property...

if we get the OK from SESI we'll put them up...

• 2 weeks later...