Human Rig w/ muscles

kai.scorpio

Ok, I finally think this project has reached the point where I can post it for crits...

The project is a full body muscle rig for a human, the mesh used now is made with 'Makehuman'. I think I've got most of the muscles down, and the next step is to merge them into groups like the arm/shoulder file from the exchange.

Posting a turntable now, and the hip file if anybody wants it later. Any crits welcome, just hope I havent made some mistake which means I need to do it all over... :blink:

The areas under the arm and the sides of the knees will be bound using rigid skinning, as I think there are not many muscles in those areas?

HumanBaseFlipbookTurntable.mov

Guest Swann
You can see the 9.0 style viewport gizmos in the top right of the viewport. ;):ph34r:

At the time I was reading this the video wasn't ready to see.

Well heres the file... only have the non-commercial here at home.

@sibarrick - so most of this work wasnt necessary? :huh: Well apart from wasting a lot of time, is it a large problem?

Yea, and this is my first real character project, after stumbling through the muscle workflow/capture tutorials, so take it apart please!

The steps I have to do now are: merge the muscles into groups (see first post), and setup the 'helper nulls' like in the muscle capture video.

Oh, and what is the correct path for opening a file on a network with houdini? the computer is called 'Athome-2' so what would the correct path to the shared folder 'Houdini' be?

HumanBase.hipnc

@sibarrick - so most of this work wasnt necessary? :huh: Well apart from wasting a lot of time, is it a large problem?

I wouldn't say that, you'll only find out by trying it. But what I was trying to say was if you have problem where things don't work or you have "gaps" you mentioned there are no muscles behind the knee, and there are none all down the shin as well it doesn't matter if you still add a muscle in those places just to make the capture work. It may not be anatomically correct but it doesn't matter if it works.

Take a look at the muscle rigging video on Sidefx if you haven't already, it goes to the other extreme of using almost no muscles, certainly no "real" ones, it shows very well how muscles shouldn't always be thought of as anatomical structures, at the end of the day its what drives the skin that is important and that is a combination of things not just muscles but the whole effect can be "simulated" with houdini muscles.

Maybe Sesi shouldn't have called them muscles they are soft capture objects that's all.

Hmm.. I think I would have done it differently if they were called something else.. interesting point there... until then I'll do what u suggested and go ahead and see if I run into any problems.

I've finished merging muscles, and am now working on finishing the rest of the rig controls so I can properly test deformations later (and for a change from working with muscles/soft capture objects). For that, is there any way to visualize the range of the bones? I'm thinking something like what was done in blender which seemed pretty slick. The shaded region shows how far the bones can be moved. Is this possible?

EDIT: When I add IK to some bones they tend jump around a little, which ends up thowing some of the muscles off. Is there a way to avoid this, or do I have to live with it :mellow: ?

-Maybe solved: this only seems to occur when rest angles or transform values are not 0, could this be the cause?

Also, how would I go about switching the 'length' of an IK chain. What I'm trying to do is have a switch that will let me choose if moving the hand target forward also pulls the shoulder forward, or only moves the upper arm and downwards.

5d102278e5.jpg

Yech just noticed the rotations of the bones are a mess... time to fix that now. Is there any way to store a selection and then recall it later?

EDIT: Group them... :huh:

How do I combine bone/muscle weights for my mesh? For I can usually select metaball or bone, but not both, which makes painting weights a bit awkward.

Edited by kai.scorpio

Sorry to sound rude, but I am really stuck on what to do to get muscle and bone deformation (or even weighting) working together? I can only select metaball (muscle) or bone for the SOPS, but I can't find a merge weights option anywhere. Please help!

you can't. period.

it's bones or muscles - NOT both. (I asked SESI when metacapture was shown for the first time if there would be a unified deformer...currently the answer in no)

there are two workflows for this:

1 - use bones for articulation, then build muscles as children of these bones for defomation

2 - bones for deformation - then transfer the weighting info to muscles

I've never tried this but if you really want to combine both then can't you modify the creation script for bones so that you have a "muscle" in each bone that takes all its settings from the capture pill, then you can combine those "bone muscles" with any other muscles to do the final deformation. A single muscle set up to match a capture region should behave much the same way as the bone system, no?

"behave"..well not really...if you're talking about 'move leg control moves leg' then yes

the bones workflow includes things like

multiple captures - you have to capture your muscles all at the same time

capturing point groups - not available with muscles

the painting of attibutes is different with muscles...not as good as bones...

etc

for me the only production ready workflow with muscles is to rig and capture with bones (that have a slave muscle)

then transfer the proper attributes to the slave muscles, additional muscles, paint muscle specific things like inflate and slide etc...

Michael, could you please explain your workflow a bit more? If I understand this, you have 'slave muscles', which are a muscle that is responsible for the deformation that would be done by the bones, as well as 'additional muscles', which are for other deformation, like muscle bulging. Is this correct?

EDIT: This is what seems to be going on in the quadruped tutorial, so I will try that and post what I come up with.

Edited by kai.scorpio

I guess the best way to describe it would be like a real creature...

bones as structure

muscles as deformers

so for a leg you'd have:

Leg_A_Bone
	 - leg_a_muscle
	 Leg_B_Bone
		  - leg_b_muscle
etc

the muscles would be your capture/deform nodes, the bones would just move everything around

then within that you'd have

Leg_A_Bone
	 - leg_a_muscle
	 - thigh_a_muscle
	 - thigh_b_muscle
	 - etc
	 Leg_B_Bone
		  - leg_b_muscle
		  - calf_a_muscle
		  - etc
etc

for inflate/sliding/shaping etc

the real problem right now is that the muscle workflow is NOT the same as the bone workflow - but they should (and can) be exactly the same...that is to say, use all the same tools and workflows.

Ah OK, I see what you mean.

I tried this with the legs, and its coming along very well. I have one problem with the inflation though, whenever I add a muscle to the 'muscles for inflation' parameter, houdini crashes with a 'segmentation fault' (build 9.1.179), is this a known problem?

I'll try it on another computer as well as soon as I can.

The muscles are not accurate particularly in the shoulder and the back. There are not 4 muscles leading into the shoulder from the scapula on the back but rather 3. The Trapizus and the Latisumus dorsi are the most important 2 muscles on the back. I am posting some links to help you out. Think these will be very useful to you.

Human Muscles and Bones

Full Pictures Bone and Muscle

Facial Bones and Muscles

Cheers,

Nate Nesler

OK, I'll take a look. Sorry for the lack of replies, school work got in the way.

@ Matrix - The yellow and purple sections are both the trapezius muscle, but as they act in different circumstances (yellow for shoulder shrug, purple for shoulder movement to the back) I decided to separate them. If that's not what you meant, please explain!

To all others (and Matrix too of course), how can I measure the rotation a bone develops from IK? I want the tendon in the wrist only to follow the hand if the rotation is under a certain value (or the wrist is pulled back through the arm).