Our First TV commercial with Mantra

anamous

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi guys,

we (BlackMountain in Stuttgart, Germany) just finished our first TV spot almost (98%) completely rendered in Mantra, with lots and lots and lots of PBR. I think it turned out quite ok, take a look at the small version (high res is in 1280x584):

http://www.blackmountain.de/lassa_mini.mov

we learned a lot in the process and will continue to exploit this nice piece of software :)

cheers,

Abdelkareem

Is the quicktime still online? I can't find it.... saw it once, would like to watch it again!

• 10 months later...

Hi guys, i know that this is an old thread but i was wondering if any 'making of' or render settings were ever posted. This advert looks amazing and if it was 98% rendered in mantra i want to know how to get my stuff up to this level!

Cheers

D

err... why is this thread still alive? :)

thanks again for the kind words, guys. As for how long this rendered, hard to say, but we had 8 weeks overall for the project and we only started final rendering 2 weeks before end. 750 frames in 720p. So overall, wasn't bad. Some elements (single robots) took 15 minutes on quad-core machines, others (the room in some cases) rendered anywhere up to 4 hours a frame. And yes, the only thing that wasn't rendered in Mantra was some 2d smoke. Only two scenes (tire laser burn closeup and black fluid closeup) were rendered in micropolygon, everything else was rendered in PBR, with motion blur and often DOF.

Note that this was rendered in Mantra 9.0. A lot has changed since. I've tried giving some tips here, but I also explain there why it isn't easy to hand out tips when it comes to Mantra - it's just too flexible and there's a million ways of doing something. Most of this specific spot was lit using an array of area lights in addition to environment lights. Sometimes, we would split the robots from the background room, bake the lit and shaded background room into an HDRI and light the robots using that HDRI.

Here's some eyecandy from the test phase for that project, all Mantra. To make up for the fact that I can't offer a magic setting that makes things look good ;)

post-1116-1245434038_thumb.jpgpost-1116-1245434089_thumb.jpgpost-1116-1245434138_thumb.jpgpost-1116-1245434173_thumb.jpgpost-1116-1245434564_thumb.jpg

cheers,

Abdelkareem