challenge: FoRest gump...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can only spek for myself (and Andrew ;) )

all within good ol' houdini, no need for vex....and a couple of simple expressions (basic arithmetic, add/multiply/divide stuff, I promise)

err....why don't you download the files and see for yourself? :)

I can only spek for myself (and Andrew ;) )

all within good ol' houdini, no need for vex....and a couple of simple expressions (basic arithmetic, add/multiply/divide stuff, I promise)

err....why don't you download the files and see for yourself? :)

I forgot about that. And I downloaded them, at least a few minutes ago :)

It looks very very nice! I will analyze the script. Oh and, is there any literature you can recommend me? Web-site(s)/book(s)?

Thanks in advance and keep up the great work!

Hey,

Well, I think I like both your set up better. Mine was merely using distance calculation based on 2 pts and delete any geometry that has normal facing opposite direction, which those I use the the position of one geo minus another ($TX2-$TX, etc) in the Normal field. :P

which unfortunately for me.... didn't work out too well.

Oh and, is there any literature you can recommend me? Web-site(s)/book(s)?

erm...websites?...ODFOrce! the one and only! :)

seriously, the only other website I know about is the young and promising http://www.visualparadigms.com/houdini/

and, more recently, the SESI website....

for books, alas, nothing houdini specific.....

basic *practical* math stuff...I could give you a long list here, but I would be rehashing what other people have recommeneded....best thing is a trek to the nearest bookstore and see what fits your taste...

shader stuff....the few, the proud, the renderman books (companion, and advanced) seem to be on every desk....

personally, I quit buying books...... "doing it", playing with your own projects, and asking questions on the way, is the only thing that really helps; disecting other users files is a tremendous eye-opener, you'd be amazed at the number of ways you can accomplish one given effect, and the tricks you pick up on the way, makes you wanna know more!

that, and taking advantage of resources like the houdini list and excellent forums like this.....

hope this helps...

I'll post my solution tomorrow because I only have 5.5 here at home and I think most people are running 5.0 still..

For real! The beta or the real thing?

(If the real thing, I thought it wasn't out yet. And how is it?)

I'll post my solution tomorrow because I only have 5.5 here at home and I think most people are running 5.0 still..

For real! The beta or the real thing?

(If the real thing, I thought it wasn't out yet. And how is it?)

I have the beta, but I believe the real thing is nigh!

Beta 5.5 has been very stable. Sidefx allowed people who already have existing license to continue to use the Beta until the release of final version.

This is what makes SideFX such a great company!

• 2 years later...

I should have had a closer look at these older challanges earlier. Had no time to check all solutions yet, but at least the one of Jason makes a really handy SOP when working with a fair amount of copied geometry.

Came in really handy when I was fumbling around with eyelashes :) Makes a nice new 'subnet' SOP.

Jens

Btw. somehow in firefox this page gets displayed fairly screwd up ... konqueror / iexporer at least display this page .. anyone else got this problem as well ?!

Btw. somehow in firefox this page gets displayed fairly screwd up ... konqueror / iexporer at least display this page .. anyone else got this problem as well ?!

14912[/snapback]

Yes, same here.