flipbooks, dailies and whatnot...

Marc

All of these suggestions are great... and quicktime is actually fairly easy to do with ffmpeg on linux. As far as I know it handles the photoJPEG codec and even H.264 (if you choose) and it's incredibly scriptable too.

So quicktimes for WIP dailies and the full framecycler for final/full res playback sounds like it could work fine. Which would mean only buying 1 license of the framecycler DDS (bonus! :)).

Thanks guys

Marc

• 1 month later...

Hi

Don't know if this is usable for the particular task, but there's a very nice OSS flipbook, called DJV, multiplatform, features are:

* Cross-platform support with versions available for Apple Mac OS X, Linux, Microsoft Windows, SGI IRIX, and Sun Solaris.

* OpenGL hardware-accelerated image processing.

* Support for floating-point and extended range images.

* Industry standard file formats including Kodak Cineon, SMPTE Digital Picture Exchange (DPX), Industrial Light & Magic OpenEXR, and Apple QuickTime.

* Movies may be played back from system memory or streamed directly from disk.

* Command line utilities for batch image processing.

Then there's like it was mentioned earlier, mplayer/mencoder, there's not much you can't do with these :)

P.S.: you might want to try a svn checkout of DJV, iirc, there was some bug with EXR, but you can find more details on the commit changelog.

• 3 weeks later...

Just installed DJV on my hp 64bit athlon laptop, with Ubuntu 8.04. Installed without a complaint and seems to be running quite nicely.

Considering the task of conversion I'm quite liking FuocoTools on linux. It's quite clever actually in that it is really just a gui of a database of mencoder and ffmpeg scripts that you can choose from. You can also assemble your own custom list of scripts.

http://fuocotools.byethost13.com/index.php

Ihab's discussion about using ipods to view videos reminded me of MythTV, in that it could be quite useful for studio wide access to a database of material.