Challenge 2 - Greeble : pbowmar, "Greebler System 4000"

pbowmar

OK here's a 45 minute stab at it. Uses 400 polygons total, though this image is probably 200 or so in the field of view.

Simple for() loop over a Boxes VOP with some randomization per polygon and iteration. Oh, in a Displacement shader if the artifacts and cracks don't give it away.

Lots of problems obviously. When the smaller upper iteration boxes hit the edges they flow over and make a mess. I need to actually think about this instead of just stringing things together :)

Rendered with AO and a single shadow casting light, default plastic Surface shader.

Cheers,

Peter B

post-648-1221890049_thumb.jpg

OK here's a slightly better one, I just push the normals up in Y for each iteration. Doesn't look as cool though, so some combination of the two is in order I think. Perhaps taking the incoming normal and biasing it toward Y but still letting it go a bit off Y might do the trick.

post-648-1222033557_thumb.jpg

OK here's a slightly better one, I just push the normals up in Y for each iteration. Doesn't look as cool though, so some combination of the two is in order I think. Perhaps taking the incoming normal and biasing it toward Y but still letting it go a bit off Y might do the trick.

Nice!!

It's definitely cleaner - but yeah, I kinda miss some of the curved surfaces..

Here's V3. This still only has vertical normals, but I've mixed in Hex and Dots which makes it more interesting. Also has a super basic Surface shader now that puts a dark noise in the lower areas and basic boxes in the upper.

Of course, the UVs get stretched to uselessness on the edges of the raised areas, I have to think about that too :) Time runs out, we'll see if I can take it farther or not.

Cheers,

Peter B

post-648-1222041978_thumb.jpg

Of course, the UVs get stretched to uselessness on the edges of the

raised areas, I have to think about that too :) Time runs out, we'll

see if I can take it farther or not.

Are you using displacement re-dicing? I assume that for greebling,

you'd probably want this feature turned on, right?

Are you using displacement re-dicing? I assume that for greebling,

you'd probably want this feature turned on, right?

Yup redicing and full Coving too. Here's a vid that shows some popping. Mantra is telling me that geometry is displaced .4 but disp bounds are .6 so I'm not sure if higher disp bounds would help.

This is pretty extreme displacement so I'm going to test with a single pass of real geometry but then my scene might get too heavy :)

http://embrace-movie.net/temp/GreeblerTest_v0003.mp4

Cheers,

Peter B

Ah, good call, thanks Jason! Yes, that last frame goes through displaced polys which is why it stops there :) I will play some more when I get the chance.

Steven, I just had to try the DOF :)

Cheers,,

Hey Peter,

Since you're so close to the surface, grazing it like that - perhaps you could experiment with changing your Measurer too? Perhaps upping the Z-Importance on it could help?

Ah, good call, thanks Jason! Yes, that last frame goes through displaced polys which is why it stops there :) I will play some more when I get the chance.

Steven, I just had to try the DOF :)

Cheers,,

Oh, and you might want to check out the predice (not re-dice) feature too :)

Hey Rogier

At the end of the challenge people will release the hipfiles for their entries. This is so no-one cheats ;).

M

I am itching to put something together for this too... but that would be bad :) (slight conflict-of-interest:)) Perhaps I can put in a non-entry entry..

• 1 month later...