eetu's lab

eetu

yep....still a wizard.

Awesome scene.

Edit: it makes a lot of sense, but I got two questions. First, what do you need the gas surface tension for?

And secondly, I see that for the wax material, the scattering is disabled, yet you are multiplying your temperature at shader level by sss attenuation...what´s going on there?

Edited by Netvudu

I got two questions. First, what do you need the gas surface tension for?

And secondly, I see that for the wax material, the scattering is disabled, yet you are multiplying your temperature at shader level by sss attenuation...what´s going on there?

I wanted the molten wax to flow freely but not splash around - I thought surface tension would work better than viscosity for that.

I was using sss for the surface mesh at first, but then switched to using the interior volume approach. That binding is just an obsolete leftover from that.

I got inspired by the quaddel stuff and ended up with 100% more cancer:

(mov here)

coralbb.thumb.jpg.b7f1d32b5c312a17cb4535cb0354bed9.jpg

First I got a more sensible result, but after I added curl to the displace direction all these small hairy squigglies burst out. Scary stuff :)

The process:

- measure curvature

- displace high-curvature areas in normal direction, mix in some curl noise.

- check sdf for self-intersection

- remesh

- repeat.

I will keep on screwing around, I'll share the hip when I'm done ;)

Edited by eetu
  • Like 8

And now for something serious: The Egg Equations.

I once needed an egg for a project, and being a dutiful Houdnik I naturally started by googling for an egg equation. Luckily, I found a set of those from Japanese mathematician Tadao Itau, and promptly recreated a parametric egg in Houdini.

post-2678-0-62430500-1401288094_thumb.jp

egg_equation5.hip

Edited by eetu
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From the archives: cellular automata. For an acquired taste :)

It's been over a year since I did these, so I can't remember everything. I had just read "A New Kind of Science" by Stephen Wolfram, and wanted to replicate things in Houdini.

First I did the "basic system", a binary 2d cellular automaton with successive generations stacked on top of each other, with the initial condition on top and time going down.

Here are a couple of stills and an animation of all the basic rules #1 - #512. Most of them are quite boring..

post-2678-0-88155600-1406830503_thumb.jp

post-2678-0-29425000-1406830510_thumb.jp

After that I experimented with continuous cellular automata, here the cell values are floating point, and instead of counting active neighbours, the combined value of neighbours is remapped to get the next generation value for this cell.

The visual setup is the same, except I feed existing volume data to the successive generations for added visual interest. These are a bit more boring, but they are at least a little bit controllable and can work in combination with other data, so maybe, just maybe could be useful somewhere (I won't hold my breath..)

post-2678-0-65998500-1406830597_thumb.jp

post-2678-0-66037700-1406830596_thumb.jp

post-2678-0-87501500-1406830598_thumb.jp

Attached are two scenes and corresponding python HDAs.

ee_2d_ca.otl

ee_2d_cca.otl

vol_2d_ca_v003.hip

vol_2d_cca_v006.hip

Edited by eetu
  • Like 4