Houdini apprentice Installation??

hmm... we're using the 4.2 and 4.1 build here with no problems on our Ubuntu (gcc 4.3.2) systems. Were you trying to change your gcc versions before or after your Houdini installation?

I'm really sorry for a late reply..was caught up with exams..

Marc I did not even try to change gcc versions....well I'm a new linux user, so cant :)

I install it as per the instructions..i get some error like:

Installing: Houdini in /opt/hfs9.5.379
/opt/hfs9.5.379/python/bin/python2.5-bin: 4: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")
/opt/hfs9.5.379/python/bin/python2.5-bin: 4: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")
Installing apprentice license...
The Houdini 9.5.379 environment has been initialized.
/opt/hfs9.5.379/bin/hkey: line 8: /opt/hfs9.5.379/bin/hkey-bin: cannot execute binary file
/opt/hfs9.5.379/bin/hkey: line 8: /opt/hfs9.5.379/bin/hkey-bin: Success
Error installing apprentice license
	Houdini install successful

it then says its installed but it doesn't show up in the applications menu or anywhere else.

I have no clue of whats going wrong :tumbleweed:

I've seen this error before on centos systems with the wrong version of gcc and python. Could you confirm what version of python you have?

Also, what happens if you cd into the houdini directory (/opt/hfs9.5.379) and type: 'source houdini_setup' and then 'houdini'

Marc I'm running pyhton v2.5.2 on my laptop..

also I cant cd into my hfs folder in the opt location, it gives me an error:

bhaveshpandey@ubuntu:/opt$ cd /hfs9.5.427
bash: cd: /hfs9.5.427: No such file or directory

but I can cd into opt directory.

(the error says that there's no such directory but when I open the opt folder using the UI, I can see the hfs9.5.427 folder inside)

so I cant really make any sense out of the error message by myself.

bash: cd: /hfs9.5.427: No such file or directory

Hi,

It's not finding the houdini folder because the first thing the cd command sees is the slash! --> /

That means you're telling it to look for the houdini folder in / (the root directory, where ALL the folders of your linux install sit) but it's in the opt folder of course. So you needed to put is:

cd /opt/hfs9.5.427

Or if you're already in the opt folder just:

cd hfs9.5.427

Also, remember to use tab auto-completion to save yourself a lot of typing. :]

Edited by DaJuice

I tried it this evening...

cd into the directory and the used source houdini_setup command..and typed houdini after this..

this is what I got

bhaveshpandey@ubuntu:/opt/hfs9.5.427$ source houdini_setup
The Houdini 9.5.427 environment has been initialized.
bhaveshpandey@ubuntu:/opt/hfs9.5.427$ houdini
/opt/hfs9.5.427/bin/houdini: line 8: /opt/hfs9.5.427/bin/houdini-bin: cannot execute binary file
/opt/hfs9.5.427/bin/houdini: line 8: /opt/hfs9.5.427/bin/houdini-bin: Success
bhaveshpandey@ubuntu:/opt/hfs9.5.427$

its not running :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
just upgraded to ubuntu 9 x64. So far it's been a smooth ride.

Quite user friendly with lot's of help/resources/forums online to get help if you get stuck. Quite well supported by other (driver) developers.

"

A little tip: I am dual booting with windows xp. If you're not planning to install your linux distro on a dedicated disk, you might need to defragment the shared disk before repartitioning. I ran into that during installation.

As a test you could download and boot with the ubuntu install disk to try it out without installing anything.

Perfect, then maybe you could help me, haha :)

I went with Ubuntu, mostly because all the documentation that was available for installing it on a MacBook.

Anyway, system is up and running, everything went fine. But I can't install houdini? Here's what happens:

I downloaded the "houdini-10.0.249.5-linux_x86_64_gcc4.1.tar.gz" file from SideFX. I unzipped it from the terminal "tar... " now I have this folder on the Desktop so I cd into it (cd /home/simonj/Desktop/houdini-10.0.249.5-linux_x86_64_gcc4.1). And then I wrote sudo ./houdini.install.

I choose to install Houdini, Deskop Menues for Houdini and Apprentice Licensing. Installation starts, so far so good.

Here's what happens next, in the terminal following output is made:

Commencing installation of selected modules.
    This may take a few minutes...

Installing: Houdini in /opt/hfs10.0.249.5
/opt/hfs10.0.249.5/python/bin/python2.5-bin: 9: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string
/opt/hfs10.0.249.5/python/bin/python2.5-bin: 9: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string
Installing apprentice license...
The Houdini 10.0.249.5 environment has been initialized.
/opt/hfs10.0.249.5/bin/hkey: line 8: /opt/hfs10.0.249.5/bin/hkey-bin: cannot execute binary file
/opt/hfs10.0.249.5/bin/hkey: line 8: /opt/hfs10.0.249.5/bin/hkey-bin: Success
Error installing apprentice license
chown: cannot access `/home/simonj/houdini10.0': No such file or directory
    Houdini install successful

Houdini 10.0 Installation completed.

Please read /opt/hfs10.0.249.5/Readme.txt
    for instructions on how to run Houdini.

We hope you enjoy using Houdini 10.0
Thank you.

As you can see there's a couple of errors there. Houdini is installed in /opt/hfs10.0.24.....

If I cd into that folder and run "source houdini_setup" it returns The Houdini 10.0.249.5 environment has been initialized.

If I then type "houdini" it returns

/opt/hfs10.0.249.5/bin/houdini: line 8: /opt/hfs10.0.249.5/bin/houdini-bin: cannot execute binary file
/opt/hfs10.0.249.5/bin/houdini: line 8: /opt/hfs10.0.249.5/bin/houdini-bin: Success

Am I missing something, I've tried searching for answers, but can't seem to find any. :)

Thanks for your time. :)

Oh and I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope :)

EDIT: moved post and question here from another thread. :)

After reading this thread I was starting to wonder if I really was downloading the wrong version

and of course I was.

the giveaway was that I ran uname -ar which returned "Linux simonj-linux 2.6.28-11-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 17 01:57:59 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux". I noticed the i686 at the end which didn't match with my downloaded version which contained "i386" in the name.

Anyway, now I got a new question.

This does mean that I managed to install a 32bit version of the system? Crud.

:)

This does mean that I managed to install a 32bit version of the system? Crud.

You might have gotten a bit confused when downloading. For x64 bit you need the amd64 distribution. I had to double check that as well as I have an intel processor. But I doubt they are really related, I guess amd64 is just the name of the standard.

If you are just installing I would however highly recommend installing the x64 edition as this will allow you to use way more memory ( which really does become important with an app like houdini).

A few things I tend to install (get the packages with apt-get) on the system before building are:

*) latest nvidia driver (v180 at the moment )

*) turn off all the fancy desktop effects in as they will give problems with houdini's interface:

system -> preferences -> appearance -> visual effects tab -> none

*) build-essentials

*) boost

*) mysql client/server (for hqueue)

*) sshd (server) (for hqueue - I had assumed this would have been installed by default by ubuntu install, but no...)

*) nfs utils (for hqueue)

(------ more general goodies for vfx td's : --------)

*) gcc-4.1 (for renderman (prman) and maya - if you are doing any kind of maya api development you'll need a very specific version of gcc-4.1 )

*) libsdl and sdlmixer (for OpenGL development, if you are planning to do any)

*) qt4 ( for designing interfaces for your tools, actually better to get qt4.5 but the last time I checked it wasn't in the repository yet, so you get it from: http://www.qtsoftware.com/products --- it's much nicer than qt4 to work with )

*) python, cgkit (graphics library for python: http://cgkit.sourceforge.net/ )

*) madwifi ( for when your wifi isn't working out of the box - like my laptop <_< )

(-------- Things that will make your life easier ---------)

edit your .bashrc and include the /bin directories of most programs you install.

*) houdini_setup_bash will do this for houdini and a couple of other things so it is still important to run houdini_setup.

*) if you are running renderman, you might want to run the proto_tools (there is more info on that here on the odwiki), basically it will modify your framebuffer to use mplay instead of renderman's viewer

(------ On first running houdini --------)

If your icons don't show up:

if you have installed houdini with root permissions, it will have generated a houdiniXX directory in your home folder. Either "sudo rm -r" to delete it, or chmod it so you can write to it. When you then run houdini again as normal user it will create a clean houdiniXX directory in your home.

Good luck with it, not everything might be applicable to you, but perhaps others find some useful info in it as well.

Thanks a lot for the info, reinstalled it since I've obviously picked the wrong system to begin with, download the right version of houdini (Sorry for today extra server load SideFX, probably downloaded Houdini about 7 times or something, haha. :)) Installed it and everything is working great. Hey, it's even working GREAT. Coming from OSX I immediately experienced that the interface was running smoother, the whole application seemed to just respond better, and it boots in about a tenth of the time it takes in os x.

pclaes, I was wondering, if I'm going to start working with the HDK a bit, I'll need an IDE, can "boost" be that IDE?

Edited by simonj

if I'm going to start working with the HDK a bit, I'll need an IDE, can "boost" be that IDE?

Glad you got it working, have fun :).

Boost is a c++ library with lots of useful functionality:

http://www.boost.org/

An IDE would be something like codeblocks or the new qt4.5 designer ( http://www.qtsoftware.com/products/developer-tools ). I've only just started using qt4.5, but it seems quite good so far.

Alright.

I'm begin to feel a little bit annoying, but what ya gonna do, hehe :)

I tried to compile the samples (as said to in the wiki). First I got this errormessage:

/bin/csh: bad interpreter

So I went to the package manager and searched for csh, bingo, installed it.

Then I got an error about g++ not being defined.

So I went to the package manager and searched for g++, bingo, installed it.

Then I got an error that said "/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lGLU"

So I went to the package manager and searched for lglu. Nothing, went to google which told me to search for libglu. But that is already installed? So is there like a package I missed to install that had all these things, or what steps am I suppose to take from here? :)

UPDATE:

I got lGlu error resolved, I downloaded the libglu-dev package and got past that. But then, just a baseball bat slapped across the face, I got to the next error. This seems to be a bit more tricky. Now I'm missing "-lXext" after searching the interweb for info I found out that I actually have these installed in /usr/lib/libXext.so.6 and /usr/lib/libXext.so.6.4.0

So why are they reporting missing? I have no idea, the first lines of the terminal return are:

Making SOP_BlindData.o and /home/simonj/houdini10.0/dso/SOP_BlindData.so from SOP_BlindData.C

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXext

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Any ideas? I'm starting to think that something is pointed towards the wrong location, in which case I'm lost.

UPDATE 2:

Stupid stupid stupid -_-

The answer was right in the odforce wiki FAQ about the HDK. Had to add the "libxi-dev" package. Now I got the compiling working, yay! :)

(I'll save that last question for another time ;) )

Edited by simonj

Alright.

I'm begin to feel a little bit annoying, but what ya gonna do, hehe :)

I tried to compile the samples (as said to in the wiki). First I got this errormessage:

/bin/csh: bad interpreter

So I went to the package manager and searched for csh, bingo, installed it.

Then I got an error about g++ not being defined.

So I went to the package manager and searched for g++, bingo, installed it.

Then I got an error that said "/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lGLU"

So I went to the package manager and searched for lglu. Nothing, went to google which told me to search for libglu. But that is already installed? So is there like a package I missed to install that had all these things, or what steps am I suppose to take from here? :)

UPDATE:

I got lGlu error resolved, I downloaded the libglu-dev package and got past that. But then, just a baseball bat slapped across the face, I got to the next error. This seems to be a bit more tricky. Now I'm missing "-lXext" after searching the interweb for info I found out that I actually have these installed in /usr/lib/libXext.so.6 and /usr/lib/libXext.so.6.4.0

So why are they reporting missing? I have no idea, the first lines of the terminal return are:

Making SOP_BlindData.o and /home/simonj/houdini10.0/dso/SOP_BlindData.so from SOP_BlindData.C

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXext

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Any ideas? I'm starting to think that something is pointed towards the wrong location, in which case I'm lost.

UPDATE 2:

Stupid stupid stupid -_-

The answer was right in the odforce wiki FAQ about the HDK. Had to add the "libxi-dev" package. Now I got the compiling working, yay! :)

(I'll save that last question for another time ;) )

Fedora 8 & Houdini 9.5 it suits me fine

Note that the boost library is already included in the HDK, albeit quite an old version. And I'm not sure if it's complete.

-Drew

Yes I ended up downloading and installing the latest version of boost, works great.

By the way, do you have any general tips on easy but necessary challenges in the HDK, like "hello world" to understand the basics. Or is the best way just to continue reading the samples and follow how they work?

By the way, do you have any general tips on easy but necessary challenges in the HDK, like "hello world" to understand the basics. Or is the best way just to continue reading the samples and follow how they work?

The SOP examples are good starting point.