CmiVFX down again...

3d buzz have the best method of delivery i have ever come across.

Not only do you get a hard copy but while the thing is in transit you can view them online. Even when you do get them.

If CMI want to combat piracy then they should watermark the videos with information of the person who purchased it.

I would love to buy some of their content but its the only thing stopping me.

that was my fault. I changed the domains without pointing to the new server.

It wont happen again, since we are on the new servers.

We are updating cmiVFX over the summer. Newer technology will be in place.

We will still not be producing plastic DVD's though. (being that the environment is a mess and all)

I cant get into the details yet since the R n D just started. But it will still use all of your existing login information and point rewards status.

-c

We will still not be producing plastic DVD's though. (being that the environment is a mess and all)

Oh come on. :)

I know companies have their excuses for certain things but being "green" is an easy way out.

Ok then, if that really is the reason then what about this.

If you had a way of lightly watermarking the customers details on the video would you make it available for digital download?

Can't that work?

At least this way your servers don't always get sucked dry from people just wanting to view the videos each time. And if we accidently delete it, then we can re-download it. But i guarantee that the amount of downloads would be far less.

Tell me that isn't a workable solution, for you guys.

Plus accidents like this wont affect every paying customer wanting to watch something since most of them will already have the videos stored.

If this features is already present, then shame on me, and what am i waiting for.

All the best.

-andrew

Edited by phrenzy84

If you had a way of lightly watermarking the customers details on the video would you make it available for digital download?

I haven't kept up to date with video watermarking technology, but what you're suggesting sounds like it might require a re-encode for *every* bought copy? If that is the case, I'd imagine that it would involve at least some non-trivial cost added per copy. That in turn may or may not cost more than burning a dvd and mailing it.

PS. Just thinking on the video watermarking, when I output a quicktime file, there's an option to output a full uncompressed frame every so often. In theory, it might be possible to have some tool that goes through a video file and watermarks only those uncompressed frames. I wonder if anyone has tried that yet.

EDIT: Some google searches later show that there are video watermarking schemes that work on compressed videos, but they look research oriented. Such tools are probably costly.

I haven't kept up to date with video watermarking technology, but what you're suggesting sounds like it might require a re-encode for *every* bought copy? If that is the case, I'd imagine that it would involve at least some non-trivial cost added per copy. That in turn may or may not cost more than burning a dvd and mailing it.

Well, 3D Buzz somehow manages to do exactly that. They offer me for download the tutorials I purchased, watermarked with my name.

For me, as someone who already bought materials from CMI (and got burned, either by their connection or mine), the current delivery method is completely unacceptable. I know about pirates and stuff, but if others (DigitalTutors, 3D buzz) manage to deal with it, so should CMI. The way I watch my paid tutorials should be decided by me, not CMI. And the environment has nothing to do with the option of downloading purchased videos.

Dragos

I bought all of the houdini tutorials on cmivfx and have been happy with them and the delivery system. I like that they are in one place online, so I don't have to worry about carrying dvds around.

and no, I'm not affiliated with cmivfx in any way.

-ranxx

• 8 months later...

Hello -

Help Needed.

How do you access your videos purchased on CMIvfx. I purchased the Procedural Roads and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to access it!

I logged into the store - I logged into the main site - I logged into the video player...

Any help appreciated...

Hello -

Help Needed.

How do you access your videos purchased on CMIvfx. I purchased the Procedural Roads and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to access it!

I logged into the store - I logged into the main site - I logged into the video player...

Any help appreciated...

I got email from CMI yestarday They had some problems, but I checked and it worked for me. There is videos section in the left corner. When you press it you can choose what type of videos you want to watch: Houdini, 3d party, Shake etc. Pick houdini and you will have acces to list of your videos.

Hello everyone,

The cmiVFX flash player is not logging in to the database right now. We are aware of the problem and working hard on it right now. It seemed to have locked up last night.

We are looking at alternative methods to get you to your videos without the current player.

This could take all day and perhaps tomorrow.

Thanks for understanding. We know its a total drag to have this down on a weekend.

Dont worry though... we will solve the problem and make it up to you.

The sad thing is.. it effected our donations for the Haiti Relief Fund. Sales for this weekend were supposed to go to that.

cmiTeam

I'm glad I just saw this topic. I feel like most of you guys. I already bought 2 online tutorials from cmivfx, but only because of the "delivery" method, I always have seconds thoughts when I'm about to get another one. I liked the ones I watched, but I really can't stand having to log on the web site everytime I want to watch a tutorial to use a player that is not as efficient as desktop player IMO. Let's say I'm somewhere with no internet and I want to do tutorials...no options here! It might sound unimportant to you guys, but since I'm paying can I at least have the luxury of actually deciding how and where I want to watch the tutorial?

Sorry, this is getting me a bit frustrated, it feels like instead annoying the pirates here, it actually annoyes the paying customers.I'm actally glad to see I'm not alone in the situation. That's too bad...It just feels unfair.

Like someone mentioned, 3D buzz system works super well, why not do the same? I really wish you guys from cmivfx do something about this..pleaaase! :D

Edited by jrgauthier

Well, you can always look for alternative ways to download what you payd for... I,m just saying.

As for the 3D Buzz, they have some bad times, they last tutorial for Houdini didn't sold to well and for the future I think they pick something that will have bigger chance to sold better.

If you have some time, look on this topic and tell them what you like to see.

Well, you can always look for alternative ways to download what you payd for...

PS. And I,m not talking about pirates.

Edited by SWANN

Just want to say Thank You to those that gave a quick response, But I mostly want to let everyone know that I dropped an email to cmiVFX and got an instant response and problem fixed!!!!

The video looks good and delivery does not seem to be an issue.

Turns out I had created two accounts there....

Post more after I finish the tutorials...

Agreed Dragos. It's the old case of a company causing grief to legitimate users because of the fear of piracy.

I bought a couple of DVDs from them before the streaming was put in place, and bought one tutorial after. To be honest, I won't touch them again until they provide downloadable content. The main chance I get to watch this sort of content is during my commute when I don't have access to the internet. It's incredibly frustrating.

CmiVFX, if you're listening, please stop being so short sighted and realise the damage you must be doing to yourselves because of this. Look at people like Gnomon, they're not exactly out of business are they? As a direct result of your non-download policy, those guys now have my trade, not you. It's a real shame too, because you have some great content.

Andy