Nate:Best Effect: Cyber Fight

MatrixNAN

Well I was intending on entering the best effect category but I am falling way behind schedule so maybe I will go into best model or best Character Animation. I hope I can finish on time. :blink:

TestShotsCyber1.jpg

TestShotsCyber3.jpg

TestShotsCyber5.jpg

TestShotsCyber6.jpg

TestShotsCyber7.jpg

TestShotsCyber9.jpg

TestShotsCyber10.jpg

TestShotsCyber13.jpg

TestShotsCyber16.jpg

WorldShip4.jpg

The jaw on my character needs to be droped around the ear, I need to add the teeth gums and tounge and I need to do the eyes over, I need to redo the ear some, foot and the world ship I just started. I have yet to put in the muscles and bones in my character and I plan on doing another alien make then fight and then have one character desolve in the stomach acids. I just started a couple of weeks ago.

Cheers,

Nate Nesler

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last two images are of a living breathing world ship. The idea is that one of the two characters, one of which I have not modeled yet, will fall into the stomach acids of the ship and be digested. The wierd pattern on the floor is where the stomach acids will be. There is only one membrane band up above but I plan on adding around 50 or so to create a floor. everyone says what is that when they see the world ship. lol I plan on having the muscles move in the ship slowly with metaballs but we will just have to see how I am doing on time. I have to model the bones and muscles for my character there next. I think his head looks to small in comparision to the feet I think I am going to scale it up some. I plan on have particle reactions inside the muslces of my character as they flex and move. Does anyone have any suggestions for clothing for my character. I thought of doing somelike spider like sandles for his feet but I just can't seem to come up with anything good for the clothing. I am trying to think of something I have never seen before but I seem to be having a mental block at the moment. Don't be surprised if I do not post for about two weeks since I will not have an internet connection from MTSU.

Cheers,

Nate Nesler

P.S. Thanks for the comments!

:ph34r::blink::huh:B):o

Hi Nate

Pretty cool so far.

I think the hips area needs a bit more work. They tend to be narrower in men than in women. Here's some reference I could find on short notice ::

ph0547.jpgph0559.jpg

Also, the forearms seem to be a bit flat on top, you should round them out a bit.

Could you post some wireframes too? They tend to give a better impression of the overall shape.

Cheers

Marc

Hey Marc,

Those are great reference pics much better than the ones I ended up using. Actually though I am going to model out the bones and Muscles with metaballs so I can infulence the skin and use the metaball muscles as containers for the particle systems for the fusion reactions in the muscles the skin will be semi transparent and so will the muscles. The bones will be chrome. I plan on duplicating this setup and not make it transparent and then edit the metaball influence objects in order to change the look and apparence of the other character. I am then going to have that character dissolve in the acid with particle emitters coming from his skin, musles and bones making it totally transparent. I will time it out so that the skin finishes dissolving while the muscles still are and then on down to the bones. I am using the primal pictures medical 3d model set that was actually done in Houdini as my reference. I really don't know why I bothered modeling the muscles deformation straight to the skin. None the less it was a great learning experience. Working on the metaball bones now. I just finished editing the heck out of the body and face for the skin there was a ton of problems with it. Grrr :angry::D Your totally right about the hips. I just finished seaming the two together with a mirror and fuse right before my class so when I posted I did not have time to edit it. I will try to throw wire frames up tomarrow if they give me an internet connection I sure hope they do since it already ended up costing me like 2 and half days of work time when my licenses timedout and could not renew them because of the no internet connection. I was going to have a full tae kwon do fight scequence between the two characters but I do not have time to animate it so I will have to scrap that for the contest unforinately. I will hopefully get it done before Siggraph though. Are you going ?

Cheers,

Nate Nesler

P.S. Thanks for the refernce pics where did you get them? That 2nd one is just awesome. Very nice definition. I modeled my whole guy pretty much without a reference. Thats why I am having to go back and fix him so much. :ph34r::blink:B)

Hey Nate

Sounds like a really interesting project. Can't wait to see it :).

As for the reference... over at conceptart.org they've got a forum for reference, and one of them is a nude reference thread.

There aren't many male pictures, but the ones they do have are pretty good.

Cheers

Marc

Yes that link was good. I like the one that was done by the asian guy from LucasArts. I like his birth of an angel in contrast with the heaven and hell. I also liked the self portraits and the Satan with the guy with the water glass in his hand. Marc Dude I like your alien chick she can make a lunar landing near me ;):) I really liked the hair that you did. Oh they said they would hook up my internet connection but they did not again. So It will be aleast till monday until I can post images from my computer. Grrr! Oh well by that time I will have all the bones and maybe the muslces too for my character.

Cheers,

Nate Nesler :ph34r::blink::huh:B)

Oh boy I have a 13 minute render per frame on just the environment which is not complete with no shading and no surface SOP displacements yet. YIKES!!! I might have to do just a crappy render for the competition. Grrr. I have good hardware. Its just that my Environment is about 30,000 polys before smoothing. Almost done modeling it though. I have about strands across the walls and I have to do the ceiling ones now, but that will only be about 10 or so of them. I will post as soon as I get a connection.

Cheers,

Nate Nesler

:unsure:

yes I am rendering all the PolyMeshes as Subvision surfaces in the Render tab under the Objects Screen set. I can no longer load the scene in subdivision level 2. Ugh! :ph34r::blink::unsure::huh: Hey does anyone know if you have to calculate the Photon Maps and GI per frame or just one Map and the Shadows are derivied off these calculations much like in the Halo Lighting Tutorials?

Cheers,

Nate Nesler

A speed up trick for anyone on windows using Houdini. Try going into the task manager Ctrl+Alt+Del and then Task Processes and right click on the Houdini task -> Set Priority -> Above Normal. Do this for MPlay and Mantra. It helped me alot! Also set your bucket size much higher in the render if you want to render fast and have the ram to burn. Thats my two cents.

Cheers,

Nate Nesler :ph34r::blink::huh:

ok so I promised I would post again once I got a connection. I got a connection again at my appartment and not at the school. So here is my progress work flow down to current.

WorldShipCyberTest_04.jpg

WorldShipCyberTest_05.jpg

WorldShipCyberTest_06.jpg

WorldShipCyberTest9.jpg

Thats for the World Ship I will Post Wires in another post.

Cheers,

Nate Nesler

:ph34r:

Ok this is a progression of the Cyber Man Character. He is still not done by any stretch.

WorldShipCyberTest10.jpg

WorldShipCyberTest11.jpg

This was a test of a humerus bone inside is body to see how the bones look inside the body. The bone and muscle shaders are done. That bone was done with metaballs and I have decided to chunk metaballs because I can not get them to do what I want to do with out writing a special plugin for them and I don't have the time for that and if I did I would not anyways I woud write a plugin for skin influence objects with NURBS, Subdivision Surfaces, and Polys. So that bone got chunked and I am doing them in NURBS which brings up the question does anyone know if you can insert isoparms like you do in maya?

WorldShipCyberTest12.jpg

Cheers,

Nate Nesler

:ph34r:

Alright final set and currently what I have and been working on! I did some render techniques.

CyberComposite_01.jpg

The passes have to be done in tifs so I am afraid they are huge so I am not posting them unless people really want to see them.

Here is a wire that some people wanted.

CyberWire.jpg

The Ship model shown at lower wire and not smoothed wire. The Ship environment weighs in at 1.7+ million polys and the character weighs in at 92,000+ polys. I would like to make the organic strands more lose and orgranic looking with hanging appendages but I am not sure if my hardware can take it.

Cheers,

Nate Nesler :ph34r::D:blink::unsure::huh:B):rolleyes:

actually that was done 3 days ago so I am faster than that! I accidently clicked the always to never and did not notice it. So needless to say I spent a day and a half without being able to do any work. Well yesterday I did not get much done because I was rendering most of yesterday. Anyhow here are some images of the caustics and the vein displacements. I also made mods to the character and to the hangings flesh appendages. Today I am going to do the bones after I take a nap. lol

CyberCommandoFront.jpg

CyberCommandoOverHead.jpg

CyberCommandoBack.jpg

Cheers,

Nate Nesler :ph34r::blink::unsure:B):huh::D

Don't be surprised if I don't post for about 5 days because the bone models and muscle models just look black until I put in the light particles, so there is not really much to see. Oh great I got the pro from DD to work harder. lol No I'm just kidding thats a really nice complement coming from you. None the less here are some things to distract you. http://www.ebaumsworld.com/index2.shtml This is ebaums world it is extremely funny if you are not familar with it. Go to the animations page and the even more so the Videos pages. The State of the Union Speach On Crack is one of my favorites along with the Narcoleptic Dog. However you spell things like words. I am sure I completely got that wrong. The other one if you have not already seen it is the Broc Lee Enter The Salad Dressing off of CG Talk in their gallery. Here is the Link to that: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=60855

Cheers,

Nate Nesler

:lol::D:)