IK/FK troubles

michael

thanks Michael...I'll give it a whirl

what I'm trying for is a curve that I can put around the rig (think Hula-hoop) that will control the translations of the spline curve's CVs...that way there is a visible control for the animator rather than a bunch of damn handles along the spine...we do it in maya and it's reasonably cool...

Well that's interesting. I don't think I've ever seen that before. Can you explain how you animate with it and what you like about it? It seems pretty cool, but I'm not sure how you use it. If you move the hoop up, the spine seems to get a little wacky, but looks great moving it around in X and Z.

yeah, the hack to get the hoop to work isn't the best...it worked really well in a little test file I made, but when I tried it on the real spine it seems very funky and not smooth...

basically the hoop is just a single control for all the CVs of the spine curve, but because it's just one object it's much faster to animate with and you can get some pretty complex poses really quickly...then on top of that you have the Blocks, which are basically FK controls for the spine...so you can animate the spine in 'FK' with the blocks and 'IK' with the hoop - at the same time.

I'll have to find a better way to get the hoop working though....on the rig we use in maya you can get very smooth bending of the spine using the hoop...(weeeeee...happy news, the guy who wrote the rigging script that alot of this is based on just got a job at Weta...)

*Warning: This is another thread hijacking attempt *

:P

The Pose State.

When you are using the Pose State and manipulating bones with No Kinematics you can "pose" with IK or rotational values. You can even lock a bone so the pose ik doesn't effect it.

So here is my question why would you use an IK solver on the bones as opposed to using the Pose state's "IK"? At face value the Pose State with No Kinematics seems superior since you can choose between ik or rotational.

jim.

To answer my own question,

1. You lose the ability to parent your goal. (Since there is none).

2. Your working with rotational channels instead of translation channels. While this might be good for arms it would be tough with legs.

What else? No wrong answer.

:D

jim.

The biggest problem occur in your in-betweens. There's no guarentee that just because you've keyed your rotates to touch a goal at two difference poses, it will remain that way in the interpolation frames. NoK w/Pose is great but you have make sure that you're thinking about keying rotates and don't expect things to stick in between frames because they likely won't.