Bullet compiling issues

Sure, no problem :) Could you maybe put this bullet project either on sourceforge or Google Code so that we have a centralized location for the code and build scripts?

@CeeGee: I'll try to statically link the Bullet library into the BulletSolver so that it doesn't have to be separately installed. I'll post here if I have managed to get that working.

thanks nanocell

i got it to compile on h10.0.403 with the latest bullet2.75

and its working very fast

cheers

heh thanks, still getting a bunch of linker errors I'm trying to decipher, not sure if it's coming from the way I'm compiling bullet or the bullet Solver code.

I won't be of any help, but I'm keeping my finger crossed for a successfull compile :)

• 3 weeks later...

i also compiled it

debian lenny, bullet 2.75

cat .../SIM_SolverBullet-0.11_vanaarde/src/compile_example.sh 

BULLET_INC=/usr/local/include
BULLET_LIB=/usr/local/lib

hcustom -g -I $BULLET_INC -l BulletDynamics -l LinearMath -l BulletCollision SIM_SolverBullet.cpp

in bullet 2.75 do not compile 2 demos, i disabled this demos (also may be -DBUILD_DEMOS=OFF for cmake).

i add to cmakelists.txt

SET(CMAKE_C_FLAGS "-fPIC")
SET(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS "-fPIC")

strange trouble with /usr/scratch/houdini-9.5/config/Icons/ path: if houdini launch from non root user, icons in scene with bullet dso loaded not displayed correct. i solwe it with add premissions for this path.

Edited by almatea

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm.... I've been trying to compile this bad boy, and it compiles, but then I get this cryptic message when I launch Houdini with it in the dso folder;

sandboxB:~/tools/bullet/SIM_SolverBullet-0.11_vanaarde/src> Houdini DSO - error on '/home/chris/houdini10.0/dso/SIM_SolverBullet.so'
	/home/chris/houdini10.0/dso/SIM_SolverBullet.so: undefined symbol: _ZNK16btCollisionShape17getBoundingSphereER9btVector3Rf

Does this look familiar to anyone? It's linux x64 (ubuntu), Bullet 2.75, Houdini 10.0.422.

BTW, does anyone know the DigitalDomain guys are going to contribute their Bullet code (Drop?) to the community?

Edited by goldleaf

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I hope you can help me with advise. I've done all staff as described in this thread but when I try compile for Houdini, I got such result

[alex@fubunga src]$ ./compile_example.sh 
Making debug version
Linking with 'liblibbulletmath'
Linking with 'liblibbulletdynamics'
Linking with 'liblibbulletcollision'
Making SIM_SolverBullet.o and /home/burlin/houdini10.0/dso/SIM_SolverBullet.so from SIM_SolverBullet.cpp
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lbulletmath
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

also I've checked the the /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/include and they seem ok.

I undestand that compiler can't find the libraries but why?

Thanks in advance,

Alex

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lbulletmath

[/code]

I undestand that compiler can't find the libraries but why?

Maybe the bullet libraries are named something different. You'll have to have a look what they're named on your system. I just installed Bullet-2.75 on Gentoo over here and I see that the libraries are named LinearMath, BulletDynamics, and BulletCollision.

So, try changing the compile_example script to compile the bullet library with a line like this (or to whatever the libraries on your system is called):

hcustom -g -I $BULLET_INC -lLinearMath -lBulletDynamics -lBulletCollision SIM_SolverBullet.cpp

HTH,

Van Aarde.

Edited by nanocell

Maybe the bullet libraries are named something different. You'll have to have a look what they're named on your system. I just installed Bullet-2.75 on Gentoo over here and I see that the libraries are named LinearMath, BulletDynamics, and BulletCollision.

So, try changing the compile_example script to compile the bullet library with a line like this (or to whatever the libraries on your system is called):

hcustom -g -I $BULLET_INC -lLinearMath -lBulletDynamics -lBulletCollision SIM_SolverBullet.cpp

HTH,

Van Aarde.

Thank You Very Much

Best Regards

Alex

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I started to put together a really easy to follow step by step guide to getting Bullet up and running on the Mac. () I have the Bullet library compiled, just not sure how to get the Houdini DSO compiled with it. I'm posting the question here because I do not want to clutter the how-to guide with compiling problems.

So, I have the library compiled. The test scenes work. Now, I know I need to launch the Houdini Shell and use the build.sh script in the Houdini BulletPhysicsRBDSolverDOP download, but it looks like the script is configured for Linux. Not sure what to do to make it work for the Mac. Just launching the shell script gives these errors:

rm: *.o: No such file or directory

Making debug version

Linking with 'libBulletDynamics'

Linking with 'libBulletCollision'

Linking with 'libBulletSoftBody'

Linking with 'libLinearMath'

Making SIM_SolverBullet.o and /Users/aswaab/Library/Preferences/houdini/10.0/dso/SIM_SolverBullet.dylib from SIM_SolverBullet.cpp

i686-apple-darwin9-g++-4.0.1: SIM_SolverBullet.cpp: No such file or directory

i686-apple-darwin9-g++-4.0.1: no input files

Compile failed

Any help here? I know a few of you have this working on the Mac.

• 7 months later...

simon@delbuntu:~/source/bullet-physics-solver/src$ ./build.sh

Making debug version

Making SIM_SolverBullet.o and /home/simon/houdini11.0/dso/SIM_SolverBullet.so from SIM_SolverBullet.cpp

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXi

Link failed

** EDIT: Nevermind, silly question. **

** EDIT: Ok, here's another question. **

I've tried once again against bullet 2.75 and 2.77.

My gcc version is definitely 4.4 and I am using houdini-11.0.547-linux_x86_64_gcc4.4. The compiling seems to happen fine.

simon@delbuntu:~/source/bullet-physics-solver/src$ ./build.sh
Making debug version
Making SIM_SolverBullet.o and /home/simon/houdini11.0/dso/SIM_SolverBullet.so from SIM_SolverBullet.cpp

However when I launch Houdini I get the following errors.

simon@delbuntu:~/source/bullet-physics-solver/src$ houdini
Houdini DSO - error on '/opt/hfs11.0.547/houdini/dso/SOP_RF_Mesh_Import.so'
        Compiler incompatibility detected. gcc compiler versions below 4.3 are not compatible with gcc compiler versions 4.3 or above.

Houdini DSO - error on '/opt/hfs11.0.547/houdini/dso/SOP_RF_Particle_Import.so'
        Compiler incompatibility detected. gcc compiler versions below 4.3 are not compatible with gcc compiler versions 4.3 or above.

Houdini DSO - error on '/opt/hfs11.0.547/houdini/dso/ROP_RF_Particle_Export.so'

Houdini DSO - error on '/opt/hfs11.0.547/houdini/dso/ROP_RF_Sd_Export.so'

Houdini DSO - error on '/opt/hfs11.0.547/houdini/dso/SIM_SolverBullet.so'
        libBulletDynamics.so.2.77: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Houdini DSO - error on '/opt/hfs11.0.547/houdini/dso/SOP_RF_Sd_Import.so'

Houdini DSO - error on '/home/simon/houdini11.0/dso/SIM_SolverBullet.so'
        libBulletDynamics.so.2.77: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
simon@delbuntu:~/source/bullet-physics-solver/src$ houdini --help

simon@delbuntu:~/source/bullet-physics-solver/src$ cd
simon@delbuntu:~$ houdini

** EDIT: Those gcc errors are not related to bullet ODE. **

Ok, my bad once again, those RF plugins are realflow plugins which I installed earlier and didn't bother checking, so that's a completely separate issue. It looks like the main problem with bullet ODE is that bullet itself is somehow badly installed. I'll check that now.

Edited by sleg

• 1 month later...

Also, you can run 'ldd SIM_SolverBullet.so' (or whatever it's name is), and you'll find the libraries its linked to. If any say 'not found' install it or copy it over into /usr/local/lib and/or /usr/local/lib64 if necessary.

Have you had luck with it lately? (Sorry I've been kind of absent from this whole thing for a while. Insane last semester though, so I'm graduated now. Yay!)