Rock Hard

Macha

are you using PBR for those?

Yes, most of them, especially if they use refractions and reflections. It renders a lot faster than non-PBR. If I understand correctly it's because it automatically reduces useless sampling if the diffuse contribution is very little.

First attempt at a gold nugget. Some of the techniques are useful but I'm not happy with the design. The base rock looks wrong and the gold distribution is a little boring. It looks tasty though, like a luxury cake.

post-4013-125024310709_thumb.jpg

Man i love your rocks, they are getting better with each post :) . Btw, you might want to run all those cubes trough RBD solver to get rid of interpenetrations.

Thanks. I'm happy you like them.

As for the cubes, the RBD solver might come handy in the future but for the moment interpenetrations are OK because crystals tend to grow like that. If you ever get a chance to handle a piece of pyrite you'll be amazed that such a thing really exists.

Edited by Macha

Very very nice work!

Would you mind expanding a bit on how are you building this? Specifically the rock+crystals.. Im quite intrigued!

Just a bit of info on how are you building the geo, and what are you doing shading wise..

Keep it up!

Macha you're my new rock idol!!!

astounding job!

could you post an hip demo file of your easiest and worst rock?

Just to learn how could you reach such amazing stuff.

I agree, would be great to see your process a bit more in detail!

keep it up

Many responses there, thanks. I'm extremely busy for a while to post any more stuff (wedding...) but I will think about if and how to send more files once I'm back to normal. The main issue being that I consider the rocks to be solutions to design problems, not technical challenges, which gives the whole question a different angle and flavor.

The best thing I can say for now is: "know your rocks" because they are not random objects at all but rather perfectly procedural. Once you know what makes a plutonic rock look the way it does and why that differs from, say a extrusive type, then you have solved 80% of your design question. The technical part is mostly copy-stamping with a bit of minimal scripting to be quite frank. The gold for example is just a reflective standard shader. The look is mostly achieved by tweaking diffuse, spec and reflective color. That's all. There's no technical secret to it, just your sense of color and I'm not sure how to effectively explain it so that it remains true for other rocks, since they demand other solutions.

Aaaaaanyway, my brain resembles mashed potatoes right now. Thanks for the interest everybody. I'll be back in a couple of weeks, hopefully.

Many responses there, thanks. I'm extremely busy for a while to post any more stuff (wedding...) but I will think about if and how to send more files once I'm back to normal. The main issue being that I consider the rocks to be solutions to design problems, not technical challenges, which gives the whole question a different angle and flavor.

The best thing I can say for now is: "know your rocks" because they are not random objects at all but rather perfectly procedural. Once you know what makes a plutonic rock look the way it does and why that differs from, say a extrusive type, then you have solved 80% of your design question. The technical part is mostly copy-stamping with a bit of minimal scripting to be quite frank. The gold for example is just a reflective standard shader. The look is mostly achieved by tweaking diffuse, spec and reflective color. That's all. There's no technical secret to it, just your sense of color and I'm not sure how to effectively explain it so that it remains true for other rocks, since they demand other solutions.

Aaaaaanyway, my brain resembles mashed potatoes right now. Thanks for the interest everybody. I'll be back in a couple of weeks, hopefully.

Hey!

Thanks for a bit of description! I guess its a matter of just "playing" with things a bit..

Could you describe your lighting setup as well? Maybe even attach a really simple HIP file ?

All the best on your wedding!