Installing HOT on Windows?

bhaveshpandey

I tried installing HOT but am pretty much clueless about it..

could anyone please shed more light on this?

I tried looking for it but cant find much around..even on OdWiki and the googlecode from where I downloaded it.. :blink:

I'm as of now pretty naive with scripting and stuff (I hope this will change soon enough :P ) so cant really get my head around the whole compiling thingie..

I'm running WinXP, 32 bit, H10.0.374

cheers :)

Edited by bhaveshpandey

I tried installing HOT but am pretty much clueless about it..

could anyone please shed more light on this?

I tried looking for it but cant find much around..even on OdWiki and the googlecode from where I downloaded it.. :blink:

I'm as of now pretty naive with scripting and stuff (I hope this will change soon enough :P ) so cant really get my head around the whole compiling thingie..

I'm running WinXP, 32 bit, H10.0.374

cheers :)

Go to http://code.google.com/p/houdini-ocean-toolkit/ and start by clicking on HOT Documentation. See the bit about installing from a binary distribution. Then load some of the example files.

-Drew

thanks a ton Drew!!

Will give it a whirl and get back :D

(is it compatible with just Visual Studio 2005 or others too??)

also it says to install Houdini in C:\apps\Houdini...

and then install the Visual studio to C:\apps\VS8

Is it a prerequisite? or its just that VS needs to be in same directory? (or something else)

For eg. if I have Houdini installed on D:/Houdini

should I install Visual Studio to something like D:\apps\VS8 or not?

thanks again..

Edited by bhaveshpandey

You can only use Visual Studio 2005. You can install the apps anywhere you want as long as you modify the environment variables accordingly. BTW you don't have to do any of this if you just install the binary package.

-Drew

thanks a ton Drew!!

Will give it a whirl and get back :D

(is it compatible with just Visual Studio 2005 or others too??)

also it says to install Houdini in C:\apps\Houdini...

and then install the Visual studio to C:\apps\VS8

Is it a prerequisite? or its just that VS needs to be in same directory? (or something else)

For eg. if I have Houdini installed on D:/Houdini

should I install Visual Studio to something like D:\apps\VS8 or not?

thanks again..

BTW you don't have to do any of this if you just install the binary package.

-Drew

Im having a few problems aswell. I tried on linux. Didnt have much luck. I built it, but when i had to put in

cd .. 
python setup.py bdist 

Nothing happens. Maybe its my setup.

But it would be really cool if i knew where the binaries are being held. I can only find H10 binaries and im on 9.5. It would be awesome if i could get the binaries pack for HOT_src_1.0rc5.tar.gz (thats the latest on HOT for 9.5 right)?

Thanks, I understand if you or anyone doesn't have the time, when i built the linux one unsuccessfully it did take a while.

Edited by phrenzy84

Can you post the output of the build commands. What linux are you using ? Can you compile SOP_Star.C with hcustom ? The more info you provide the more likely we can debug things. I'm not planning on releasing binaries for linux or old Houdini releases, too many linux's and not enough spare time I'm afraid. But let's get it built from src.

-Drew

Im having a few problems aswell. I tried on linux. Didnt have much luck. I built it, but when i had to put in

cd .. 
python setup.py bdist 

Nothing happens. Maybe its my setup.

But it would be really cool if i knew where the binaries are being held. I can only find H10 binaries and im on 9.5. It would be awesome if i could get the binaries pack for HOT_src_1.0rc5.tar.gz (thats the latest on HOT for 9.5 right)?

Thanks, I understand if you or anyone doesn't have the time, when i built the linux one unsuccessfully it did take a while.

yeah.

Thing is its probably my system. Im getting a new comp next month so i will try again then, and if i dont get any further i will post my results and take it from there. Just wanted to get off the ground.

But thanks for offering your help, you have created an awesome toolkit (form what i can tell :)) and im sure i will be up in no time.

thanks again,

-Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

I followed the website's step to build HOT.

But I have this error message when I start houdini.

I have set the environment variables as the website'd mentioned.

But I notice this error msg is from that environment var.

How come?

4676003_b85b063d41cd7616b90b05d415c78071.jpg

Edited by jacys

What version of houdini are you using ?

-Drew

I followed the website's step to build HOT.

But I have this error message when I start houdini.

I have set the environment variables as the website'd mentioned.

But I notice this error msg is from that environment var.

How come?

http://images.plurk.com/4676003_b85b063d41cd7616b90b05d415c78071.jpg

I just worked out that I had a dumb bug in the script that I use to build the hotbin_****.zip files. Please download the latest src/binary and give it another go. Sorry for the inconvenience. I'm very interested to hear peoples experiences, so please tell me if this fixed things for you.

BTW this was stuffing up the OSX binary release as well.

-Drew

btw,

I could compile the hcustom Star.C...

That's so wierd why I could not compile the HOT.

I compiled this in my studio(WIN32).

My home computer's OS is WIN64.

I try these teo way to compile HOT but all failed.

However, when I compile Star.C, it works.

Hi Drew,

I just use your new script to compile HOT in win32 and win64 platform a few minutes ago.

Unfortunately, they all were failed.

It still could compile the hcustom SOP_Star.C in these different platforms.

But when I compile the "hython setup.py bdist", it jumps the error window which I posted yesterday again.

There is a bit distance to reach the goal soon, just need make it clear more.

Really dont know where is the problem. Hopeless.

Thanks to your hard work.

Hi Jacys,

What did you have to do to get it compiling ? Was there something wrong in the documentation ?

-Drew

Sure, I noticed there were some *.dll files in the dso folder before I compile it.

I check another computer that never compile HOT, soon I notice they were wrong files where wrong place.

I deleted them, then I deleted the Env Var that I set before. Here is a point, because I set HOUDINI_PATH and PATH in user Env Var, that's totally wrong perhaps. However, it works in System Env Var. If not, I dont know why, but I just adjusted them to system Env Var, and it works. Never jump any error window ever. It might be a mistake here, I just share my experience and try to figure the right way out.

After I re-set Env Var, I compiled it again. There is nothing appear in the wrong place anymore.

Thanks to Drew's hard work.

I start to expect the Win32 version. :P

I will use VEX for some advanced application test tonight.

Edited by jacys

• 1 month later...

I got this error message below.

ERROR: Couldn't open resource file "resources" (No such file or directory)

Can't open dophints.cmd

ERROR: Couldn't open "Fuse10.0.430/FUSE_ColorOptions.ui" for reading: No such file or directory

I set ENV VAR in SYS ENV like the documentation mentioned.

BTY, I use WinXp 64bit.

Any one can help? Thanks!!!